All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:30 pm

Post subject: Gondor Village?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rohan villages are portrayed in the LOTR movies. But what of Gondors villages? Did everyone in Gondor live in cities? I do not recall any description of either a Gondor village or a Fiefdom village in the books, however I did read them over 40 years ago.
Any suggestion for building a simple Gondorian village?
 Post subject: Re: Gondor Village?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd use Roman towns as a model. Some low brick walls, stone buildings, tiles roofs, nothing fancy but some sort of sense of permanence. I feel like they should be fancier than the dark ages style construction Rohan has going on.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Pelennor Fields were made up of loads of farmsteads, villages and small towns, try re-reading that section of the book for inspiration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In the ROTK extended edition you can see Gondor villages on fire as the Corsairs pass by. Not in any detail though.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You will need to dig around on the web. Some photos of the sets for the Hobbit have leaked. Some of the photos from dale have tile roofs. Laketown is of course wood. I think you could use about any thing. http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/ ... tDale3.jpg
http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1333919127/370/6712370.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Look at High Medieval towns, I'd say. That means a lot of wattle and daub, with a few simple stone houses thrown in. The biggest "trap" would be to make it very fancy and "scaled down Minas Tirith"-like, remember it's only a little village with a few peasants.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I wonder if Perry's "new" medieval cottage would work ? Fencing also available..

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1615371208
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you're referring to the Fiefdoms as well as the hinterland of Gondor (Pelennor Fields) then in simple terms the buildings would match their environs. In hills, then stone would be the most readily-available material - limestone walls and slate roofs perhaps. Along riverfronts or in wooded areas then wood would be more prevalent, with thatched roofs. In southern climes then clay tiles and perhaps even mud walls would be found (much like the film version of Dale, which is supposed to be in a granite area).

The more remote villages would be sprawling, typically with a cart track around the outside of the houses, while those in the south might have pallisades or stone walls around them for fear of raiding Haradrim and Corsairs. Don't forget the myriad buildings that are not dwellings, such as workshops, barns, cowsheds, stables, forges, etc.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would imagine Gondor villages would be a step up from the Rohan ones and be more like towns. Where there will be lots of white brick houses but on a small scale. I don't really imagine wood apart from Ithillien and the far western fiefdoms.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Remember that the White City was built from stone quarried on the slopes of Mt Mindolluin, and later constructions probably took stone from the ruins of Osgiliath. These were rich cities that housed the heirs of Elendil, whereas other settlements would no doubt have to quarry whatever stone was nearby. So I doubt you'd see white stone buildings anywhere else but within the Rammas Echor.

Wood was cheap and readily available, and so would thatching be in certain lowland areas. Of course, the skills of the builders would be superior to other cultures nearby, so the designs of the houses would be similar to Minas Tirith in their complexity and use of things such as glazed windows and chimneys.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I could see a mixture of stone and wooden structures. Gondor was on the edge of hostile territory, subject to raids and invasions in addition to civil wars. The Rammas Echor and quays, ports and other 'frontline' places would be primarily stone built. Farmhouses, stables, animal pens and private civilian structures would probably be wooden, in part as Gondor no longer had the stoneworking skills of the Numenoreans. You can see a similar pattern in Rome, where late period architecture was inferior to that of the late Republic/early Imperial phase - one of the triumphal arches was clad in pieces stolen from older arches and temples!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's enough material in here for an article! It's an interesting thought exercise to predict the architectural designs of a culture that never existed, based on a rich history that came from the imagination of a single man. This is why I love this hobby!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im currently modelling a small village on my idea of Pinnath Gelin. Ive only made a small watchtower and some surrounding walls for it, but in my opininion, the fiefdoms, (with the exception of Dol Amroth) would have a more 'rural' feel. I have aquired a fair amount of foamboard, and im making it all from scratch using this. I plan to post pics of it all soon so keep your eyes peeled, it may help you/give you some ideas =]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you wanted to match the films, I would suggest the Return of the King scene where the corsair ships pull up at the docks before Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas disembark. The port city could be a good base to work from. You can see buildings, towers and I think even a wall.

You could use that style of small village/town for any of the Anduin/coastal cities like Linhir, Ethring, Pelargir or Calembel. (appendices map of Gondor)