All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:58 pm

Post subject: Cutting Balsa Wood
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi guys.

So I am just starting a project that will probably lead on to a few Hobbit Holes and I would like to hear how you all you very talented terrain makers cut Balsa Wood, especially cutting circles (as obviously lots of round doors shall have to be cut).

I have been making terrain for a while and have used Balsa wood quite a bit before. I normally use a sharp craft knife and it works for straight planks but when I try to cut curves, no matter what technique I use, it just gives a very rough finish which I really don't want for the doors and decorations.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Cutting Balsa Wood
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Check out Dagorlad's Weathertop Article. In it, he drills holes in the balsa and then cuts them in half to create arches. Something like that might work for you.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Cutting circles in Balsa is always a problem.

For smaller holes (e.g. Hobbits' windows) I start by finding a tube of brass of the right diameter at my local hobby store. Then I sharpen one end of the tube with a file.

On a flat surface, carefully position the sharpened tube on the balsa wood and, applying firm and even pressure, twist the tube in a circular motion. This will cut through balsa (and foamcore) up to 10mm thick.

For cutting larger circles, I have been known to use a hole saw attached to a power drill through thicker balsa. But generally I make sure I have a brand new blade in my knife and cut around a circular object of the right diameter - like a large coin or a washer. Be very careful when cutting cross the grain though as the knife tends to slip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah ok. I never thought of using an already circular item to cut with. That makes sense now.

One other question. Would the brass rod work for something with the diameter of the cap of one of the large pritt sticks? I have discovered that the caps on those will work nicely as door frames once cut to size.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I used a compass cutter for curved balsa I used. I used a different technique for the widows, I made them from card and used a plastic tube to use as an insert for the window frame, therefore you had the perfect circle even if the initial hole wasn't completely true. The plastic part has been painted green.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok. Yes I'm using a similar idea for the door and windows to get a perfect circle as a frame. It's just more for doors I will have slightly open, I would like to use a Balsa circle than take a plastic circle and greenstuff and sculpt the wood every time on top (what I'm probably going to use for Bag End)

One question Gandlaf. Where did you get the plastic tubing? How easy is it to pick up from a craft store for example?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My plastic tube I got from ebay. I just did a search but made a point of looking for external and internal diameters of the tube. I went for one that gave a 1mm wall which gave me the look I wanted.
It wasn't too much, I think a couple of pound, it's just that you get about half a metre of it, so you have a bit of spare !!!

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:53 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
For cutting larger circles, I have been known to use a hole saw attached to a power drill through thicker balsa. But generally I make sure I have a brand new blade in my knife and cut around a circular object of the right diameter - like a large coin or a washer. Be very careful when cutting cross the grain though as the knife tends to slip.

One trick that helps prevent tear out in soft wood is to clamp the wood to a waste piece and drill all the way through. The correct shaped bit also helps.

The spade bit will make a mess.

circle cutters and hole saws will remove too much material in the center
the compass cutter will work but I recommend round wooden bases for doors.

I have been planing some wooden buildings for Lake Town. This special wood burner tip will make quick work of texturing wood round bases. The razor saw blades are useful for odd shapes.

round shapes can be pressed into clay or green stuff. I like the idea of a custom brass punch for clay but I have never tried it with wood.

I made these strong enough for a five and eight year old in the summer 2012. I used PVC for the door frames. I made it so two could fit in a box.

I hope some of this was helpful. I am looking forward to see what you make.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great thanks for the advice Oldman Willow. I don't think I have the tools capable of that sort of job though but I will bear that in mind in the future.