All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 pm

Post subject: polyfilla
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have seen the great things one can accomplish with polifilla, and i was wondering were one would find it. I live in California if that matters any...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't believe it is available in the States, but it's basically a pre-mixed spackle filler with a consistency like toothpaste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Why is nothing available in the states! :-X
No pink foam no nothing :sad:

Would you happen to know of any alternative that works similarly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

polyfilla is a brand name over here, its just a standard filler for filling cracks etc at home. the stuff i use is cheaper and just called pre mixed filler hope this helps :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

PolyFilla IS available in North America - try a local Home Depot, or Lowe's.

And you should be able to get pink foam from these same stores too. Try the custom order desk.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks ill try that.

Whereas pink foam, my hobby store owner said that they dont carry pink foam in California because of environment issues, but ill none the less ask...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gondor's Finest wrote:
thanks ill try that.

Whereas pink foam, my hobby store owner said that they dont carry pink foam in California because of environment issues, but ill none the less ask...

That might be. You have 8 zillion cars, but no pink foam... funny! Besides, pink foam (sheet foam) is insulation for warm climates to keep the house cool too.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ya you would think people would see the irony... but then we have enough debt to be a small country of our own so... ah California!

I have found an alternative, all be it an expensive one, but this product is called basa foam, it works even better, but for around 10 dollars every 6in block you cant exactly build minas tirith with it. Thats why i was hopping polyfilla would be a good alternative.

the new question is, would you be able to cover foam core with a thin layer and then scribe in the bricks? my only other alternative would be to cover the foam core with cardboard bricks. which doesn't give as well of a convincing appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gondor's Finest wrote:
ya you would think people would see the irony... but then we have enough debt to be a small country of our own so... ah California!

I have found an alternative, all be it an expensive one, but this product is called basa foam, it works even better, but for around 10 dollars every 6in block you cant exactly build minas tirith with it. Thats why i was hopping polyfilla would be a good alternative.

the new question is, would you be able to cover foam core with a thin layer and then scribe in the bricks? my only other alternative would be to cover the foam core with cardboard bricks. which doesn't give as well of a convincing appearance.

I would look at a couple of options:

1 Hirst arts molds. A little investment will get you a lifetime of molds.

2 Plastruct makes stone textures which you could apply over foamboard, and then use polyfilla to fill gaps.

The reason I say these two is that scribing polyfilla kinda sucks and never seems to be quite great. And you are right cardboard bricks would be cheesy.

There was a Minas Tirith fom GW years ago, I have one. I think a shop in Calgary called Sentry Box still has two of the boxes too. If you use google you can find the store link and they will ship to the US. They are one ofthe largest shops in North America.

Cheers b
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:50 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I actually have the model i got it for arond 30 dollars when a store no longer wanted to carry lotr products (funny how alot are going that way these days)

was needing something larger for wotr games

I considered hirst bricks, but ruled them out on account that the bricks look rustic and suitable for older more worn structures such as helms deep.

I will look into the plastruct sheets. hopefully not TOO expencive :o

out of curiosity, were would i find that online, their website doesn't have a catalog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you look at model railroad shops such as maybe a Hobbytown they should have Plustruct. Evergreen Plastics is the other big brand but they don't have the textures like Plastruct.

Good luck!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

alright, ill check it out. and thanks for all the hel!1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gondor's Finest wrote:
Why is nothing available in the states! :-X
No pink foam no nothing :sad:

Would you happen to know of any alternative that works similarly?

We have pink foam and you can get pollyfilla from canada if you want to pay the shipping

If you are hard up for pink foam i can send you some but it has t fit in a large flat rate box

Thats where it is at
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well thanks john and tricia, but i think at the moment im going for the plastic bricks although ill keep your post under great consideration in the future!

Thanks for the offer tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You should be able to get the foam from home depot, thats for sure. It might not be pink, but its a pretty standard insulation for any flat roof building. If you want to get it for free, just find a placd re-roofing and ask nicely and they might let you have 8000 sq feet of it. They have to pay to get rid of it otherwise.
I think very highly of the Hirst bricks myself, they take a while to work with, but they create a very controlled, quality product.
Plastruct is great, but not cheap.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ya i went with the plastic, very expensive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gondor's Finest wrote:
The new question is, would you be able to cover foam core with a thin layer and then scribe in the bricks? my only other alternative would be to cover the foam core with cardboard bricks. which doesn't give as well of a convincing appearance.

I always use Pollyfilla for brick patterns. Just slap a nice thick layer on the wall and then wait for it to dry a little, not all the way, just a little. Then scribe the brick pattern in to it, or even press the edge of a ruler or something to create the horizontal lines.

I will post pictures when I get home.

www.myspace.com/AIBmelbourne