All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:08 am

Post subject: Alternate Gaming Boards
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like anybody that plays miniture gaming likes to have a self made game board at home so I can play with friends when they come over, but like alot of gamers I have two main problems.

1)money
2)storage :sad:

At the moment I'm building my board in 2 by 4 foot sections and the guy that runs the club I go to is awsome and he gave me one of the old paperbacked Games Workshop Battlemats for free. :-D

So as you can tell i've managed to save a decent amount of money however the battlemat is a bit blaned (just plain grass) so thier is two questions I would like to ask.

1) How well do people think it would work if I was to glue patches of modelling sand and maybe some different variaties of flock to the battlemat for more variation.

AND

2) Whilst grass is good for lotr i've also resently got into warhammer 40K and I thought it would be good to have different types of boards (snow, desert, moon ect.) Now I could build more 2 by 4 foot sections and texture them differently except I don't have anywhere near enough money and storage. So I was wondering if people think It would work if I were to get a suitable material (sagestions please) and texture the material instead. Then I can just roll it over my excisting board to play and roll it up for storage.

Feedback on this and ways to go about it would be much apreciated. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No money is always a problem.

Spay paint an old sheet. Hang it on a close line. Spray it with blotches of lots of earth colors. It will turn out way better than it sounds.
Some people use old army blankets. Sadly new wool army blankets are way too to costly. I have used felt. I found some plastic table cloths that were a nice green color on sale after Christmas.
Hope It helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i never bought modelling sand, just find some sand i dunno were.
in my opinion a gaming board can have every stuff, it's just how u paint it. throw a 100 stones on a cardboard, and paint it nice, and it's ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well yes money is always an issue. But there are many ways to get round it. At your nearest B&Q store thy always stock insulation things. One of the most common ones are large styro-foam boards that are perfect for making terrain boards. For example mine;

Another good place is took look in the section for underfloor styro-foam. It's normally used so when walking over your floor it makes less racket but you can use it for making buildings. It's very cheap & comes in big quantities.
You can always look for things outside in the garden, some small logs, branches, stones anything can create a good effect.

For storage wise the green mat as you mentioned is very handy, you can then just place ruins, rocks & whatever you have onto it and that gets stored somewhere eles.

Hope that helped
Drum