All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 am

Post subject: Gondor - building scale & sizes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi folks,
I have often been inspired by the pics of Gondorian buildings of Minas Tirith, from the rulebooks and online imagery.
My problem is I cannot figure the scale and size of these buildings.
They all seem to have such large "inter-story" distances (or think high ceilings, and windows and doors), you'd think a race of giants were living wthin...
Most look like a knight could ride in with his lance held high and not touch the ceiling with it!

So what gives?

I recall the high ceiling in the throne room of Minas Tirith where Denethor sat in the stewards chair, so that I guess sets a precedent.

Anyone got any ideas, or links to building plans/guides that would aid this confused modeller?

regards
Scott

Post subject: Re: Gondor - building scale & sizes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I had the same feeling when I first walked in London from Trafalgar Square to the Parliament. I guess they were just showing to the foreigners in the old times that better not mess with the empire. :-) And Minas Tirith is still sensible compared to Moria. Hundred metres high halls for one metre tall dwarves...

I have built a couple of Minas Tirith buildings using Dagorlad's plans from his old Gondor Architecture article. I think those buildings looked enough like Minas Tirith, without being too tall to store or use in games practically.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:34 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Osgilliath was the ancient capital of Gondor. Minas Tirith was the largest surviving city. Large buildings should be common.

Quote:
They all seem to have such large "inter-story" distances (or think high ceilings, and windows and doors), you'd think a race of giants were living wthin...
Most look like a knight could ride in with his lance held high and not touch the ceiling with it!

If you want to have room for models in the interior of buildings you will need to exaggerate the ground scale. The base of the figure takes up 36 sq scale feet. If you want to move models around then the ceiling will need to be 30 scale feet high or your hand won't fit. Forget the scale ruler and model what looks right to the eye.

Try link
http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/4867?page=1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

valpas wrote:
And Minas Tirith is still sensible compared to Moria. Hundred metres high halls for one metre tall dwarves...

To be fair to the dwarves, most of those caverns already existed, they just shored them up, polished them, and connected them. :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
Osgilliath was the ancient capital of Gondor. Minas Tirith was the largest surviving city. Large buildings should be common.

Quote:

If you want to have room for models in the interior of buildings you will need to exaggerate the ground scale. The base of the figure takes up 36 sq scale feet. If you want to move models around then the ceiling will need to be 30 scale feet high or your hand won't fit. Forget the scale ruler and model what looks right to the eye.

Try link
http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/4867?page=1

Thanks for the link.
So at a glance would you say somewhere about 3 inches or 8cm, from floor to ceiling, per building level?

Cheers
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am going to use the photo to explain what I go by. Real scale, near scale and eyeball.
The Hudson and Allen Dark age building is 25mm scale.The miniature Building Authority Inn and Halfling house are near scale. My Hobbit hole and the OOP Grenadier house are eyeball or built so the miniatures fit.

Image Image Image

I built my Hobbit hole from a 2"X10" so it is a saw blade under 2" but the tallest Hobbit fits fine. Jim's Hobbit house is about 1 1/4 inch but you can't put the roof on with figures inside. The OOP house is just under 2 1/2 inches but newer WHF models are much larger. You might get away with 3 inches with them.

Don't forget to leave room for bases on stairs.

Quote:
So at a glance would you say somewhere about 3 inches or 8cm, from floor to ceiling, per building level?

I think that will work for most things. But I don't have a rule.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi jscottbowman,

Chances are you've already seen this, but just in case: http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=artic ... iliathRuin

His rule of thumb,for gaming purposes, seems to be 10cm (so approx 4").

I'm trying to work up the confidence to give his guide a go, since it appears straightforward. Judging by your blog, you modelling skill level seems a little higher!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oldman Willow wrote:
I am going to use the photo to explain what I go by. Real scale, near scale and eyeball.
The Hudson and Allen Dark age building is 25mm scale.The miniature Building Authority Inn and Halfling house are near scale. My Hobbit hole and the OOP Grenadier house are eyeball or built so the miniatures fit.

Image Image Image

I built my Hobbit hole from a 2"X10" so it is a saw blade under 2" but the tallest Hobbit fits fine. Jim's Hobbit house is about 1 1/4 inch but you can't put the roof on with figures inside. The OOP house is just under 2 1/2 inches but newer WHF models are much larger. You might get away with 3 inches with them.

Don't forget to leave room for bases on stairs.

Quote:

I think that will work for most things. But I don't have a rule.

Hi, thanks for the help and ideas. I have made generic "medieval" buildings etc before and always used he height of the model as what to go by. So a door would allow a model on its base to get through, then leave about 1-2cm to the "ceiling" level from that.
The difficulty I had with the Gondor stuff, is they are clearly working with a far grander scale than this (big enough for most trolls to walk through their doors [perhaps a tactical error if you ask me ;-) ] ) . Hence my question, I just couldn't quite set my eye to the correct scale to figure it out for myself!

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Xelee wrote:
Hi jscottbowman,

Chances are you've already seen this, but just in case: http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=artic ... iliathRuin

His rule of thumb,for gaming purposes, seems to be 10cm (so approx 4").

I'm trying to work up the confidence to give his guide a go, since it appears straightforward. Judging by your blog, you modelling skill level seems a little higher!

Cheers

Hi Xelee, thanks for the link (and vote of confidence!).
Yes that diagrammatic representation helps a lot as a scale to work with.
I would painted the biulding a paler colour though, and use thicker dense foam (styrodur) sheet for walls.
Also I would use a thin mdf sheet to base it for better rigidity.

regards
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Scott, out of interest, where are you getting your foam from? Is it anywhere like Bunnings etc, which conveniently does smaller bits for those of use who sneak our hobby purchases through piece by little piece? Or is it from a proper insulation outfit like, say, Formans?

I think his methods will at least work for my 'rough' purposes. I need to get some prototypes done so that I can judge whether it is a feasible NATCON project...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

here you go,follow the link withing this one and there are some paper buildings(at the very lest for templates)

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com/index ... er_models/

Click my link,you know you wanna: http://blackreaper93.blogspot.com/