All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:11 pm

Post subject: Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have been doggedly working on several terrain pieces for my dwarven army in the past week. However I have come to the conclusion that I have'nt the slightes idea as to how other gamers create beautiful, natural looking mountains, and thus I need help. Can one of my fellow gamers tell me a way to create mountians like I have seen online and in sourcebooks?
 Post subject: Re: Mountains
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lemax Christmas Village mountains

Pine bark and Hirst Arts blocks

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
I use a combination of things. But the best advice I can give is to make lots of small parts that can be combined into a larger whole.Look through the thumbnails if you have time. I photograph as I build. A photo is worth a thousand words.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thousands of tutorials are avalible on the web, on the you tube, search! Use light materials, like foam boards. Sculp it with knife or hot wire, its easy and fun. Glue sand on it. Basecoat with black. Drybush it with browns, and a little bone color. Stick rocks, bushes, grass on it, what ever you want. Spray it with math varnish. If you want rocky terrian, like above, drybrush with greys.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree, the pine bark is wonerful stuff, and can be just about freely available, if you mulch you garden anyway. If not, then grab a bagful from a gardening centre. Stick this to polystrene or dense foam structures as cladding and there you have it.
The Hirst blocks may well give you some options too, but you could just skim coat your pathways in filler and score/etch in a paving stone pattern...
Good luck
Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

WOW! Beautiful work Old Chestnut and thanks for the advice and pictures. :D Bastion, I never even thought to look it up on youtube thank you for the advice. And thank you Jscott! Well mates looks as if I'll be wandering through my gardens looking for bark! Thanks again for all the help.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Image Image Image Image
Table divider mountains

I made these table dividers for Tree Fort Games so that they could divide the 12 foot tables into or two or three gaming areas. They are simple to make. Most people don't think to stand the foam on end. I made six but you could easily add more detail. I use Bark and the Lemax Christmas village rock back drops at home.