All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:16 am

Post subject: GW's Realm of Battle - so easy, even I can do it!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all,

Wanted to show some photos of my completed Realm of Battle board. I wanted a large area with several ways to configure the terrain, so I purchased enough to make 9 boards, plus a few extra hills.

I am not an expert modeller, and was at first intimidated by the board and having to paint it. After a few reads online, both here and at the GW site, I decided to give it a try. I purchased materials at the local GW store, Micheals, Home Depot, and .99 cent store. The following are the steps I took in doing the nine boards.

1. I did not want the little skulls to show in the craters so I applied cement patch to these, covering up the skulls. I then added some small rocks. Once this dried I went to step 2.

2. Instead of taking the time to paint the board brown by hand, I went down to Home Depot and purchased three cans of dark brown Rust-Oleum spray paint for plastics, and a can of black. With these I sprayed the rock areas black and all the rest brown.

3. Next, I did the rocks. For this I mixed black a white (creamcoat) paints and made three shades of gray: dark, mid, and light. With these I drybrushed over the black areas. I used a small household paint brush with a 2" head to do this, which sped the process.

4. Next, I drybrushed an Ochre color (creamcoat) over all the brown, using the same brush as above. This took lots of "elbow grease" to get done.

5. Next, I added the light green static grass flock. I took regular Elmers glue and spread it over the areas I wished to flock using the same brush, but dipping it in warm water and using that to thin out the glue and make it spread more. I then added light green flock (scenic effect) to the area and then tapped it down using another household brush. After it dried I turned over the board and tapped off the excess, saving it for additional use.

6. I did the same as the above, only this time with the dark green flock (scenic effects).

7. I went back over the grass again with the glue, making sure that this second layer was brushed past the borders of the first layer. I then added more flock, so that there was two layers. Again, I tapped off the excess to save.

8. As above, but with the dark gree.

9. I went around the boards and added small drops of glue in the rocky crevasses and in some of the remaning brown areas. I then switched between light and dark green and added flock to these areas. This would give the appearance bushes and undergrowth within the formations.

10. Finally, I sealed everything with GW's Purity seal (about the only GW product used on these boards.

Here is the final result:

This all took me five days to do, working about 6 hours/day, so around 30 total. I used the following tools and material, and paid the following:

3 x cans of Rust-Oleum brown spray paint (for plastics)....$2.98 a can
1 x can of Rust-Oleum black spray paint (for plastics)....$2.98 a can
1 x tube of black "creamcoat" brand paint - get this at Micheals....$0.98 each
1 x tube of white "creamcoat" brand paint - also from Micheals....$0.98 each
1 x tube of Ochre "creamcoat" brand paint - from Micheals....$0.98 each
3 x jars of light green "scenic effect" brand static grass (used 2 and a half)....$12.49 each
3 x jars of dark green "scenic effect" brand static grass (used 2 and a half)....$12.49 each
5 x 8 oz tubes of Emers glue....$0.99 each
1 x tube of cement patch....$0.99 each
a handfull of small pebbles
2 x home-use paint brushes....$1.00 each
3 x cans of GW purity seal....$15 a can!

So I spent around $150 for materials to do nine boards, plus three hills (that I have not shown)

Brian
 Post subject: Re: GW's Realm of Battle - so easy, even I can do it!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:55 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It looks nice :yay:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The rocks look pretty effective. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amazing... I would be happy to paly a fight there