All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:09 am

Post subject: Arnor terrain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to make some Arnor terrain for my battles and stuff, can anyone help me on what kinda stuff to make? I want to make a lot of ruins and forests but I'm not sure what they should look like so some pictures would be very helpful :)
 Post subject: Re: Arnor terrain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Get the Ruin of Arnor sourcebook, if you can. I think it probably went out of print when Warbands were released (with RoA being rolled into Kingdoms of Men along with Rohan and Gondor). Its a great book, I reccomend it.

There are lots of ruined cities throughout Arnor. Fornost, Annuminas, etc. The Barrow Downs (burial mounds of the Dunedain) were a part of Arnor. Annuminas is a particularly interesting city - its a large city which was once the capitol (before the Capitol was moved to Fornost) on the shores of Lake Evendim, the largest lake in Middle Earth. Parts of it are even sinking into the lake, becoming flooded. The Weather Hills are a series of hills fortified with outposts and watchtowers (Weathertop/Amun Sul is one) along the border between Arthedain and Rhudaur (Rhudaur was the first Arnorian Kingdom to fall to Angmar, Arthedain the last).

If you have a half decent computer, I reccomend getting The Lord of The Rings Online. Its a great game and is Free to Play, though most of the game is restricted and must be purchased individually or you get it all (except the expansions) by subscribing. The North Downs (Fornost) and Evendim (Annuminas) must be purchased but the Barrow Downs can be explored for free. Oh, and the Shire is within Arnor as well - it was only settled by Hobbits in the later years of Arnor so you could do a Hobbit less version of the Shire (lots of pleasent green rolling hills, woods and fields. English countryside pretty much).

The city of Fornost, ruined Capital of Arnor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Keep in mind that Arnor once belonged to the Numenorians and will therefore have some similarities to Gondor. Ruins would certain infest it's lands and as King mentioned Fornost would be it's captial. The first pictures actually comes from The Battle for Middle Earth - Return of the Witch king so if you have the game have a check around.

Drum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This link has some info: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... eMode=true

Aside from Fornost, I think Weathertop is also a good idea. 8)

*Edit*
This might also help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wc2q4Ajb9U
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you all very much! @King Ondoher those pictures are great! I will definately use them for inspiration. and I was thinking about doing some barrows but wasn't sure if it would be appropiate, I think I will now though.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

that-one-elf wrote:
Thank you all very much! @King Ondoher those pictures are great! I will definately use them for inspiration. and I was thinking about doing some barrows but wasn't sure if it would be appropiate, I think I will now though.

That was just the first few pictures from a google image search. Try these terms.

Fornost.
Dead Man's Dike.
North Downs.
Trollshaws (technically not Arnor, but lies on the eastern borders).
Ettonmoors (parts of Rhudaur, populated by trolls, wargs and Orcs and patrolled by the Dunedain Rangers).
Annuminas.
Arnor.
Rhudaur.
Cardolan.
Arthedain.
Barrow Downs.
Forochel (its a large Arctic tundra far to the North of Arnor, West of Angmar. Its where King Arvedui the last King fled to when Arthedain (last surving Arnor kingdom) fell).
Weathertop.
Amon Sul.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Think along the Gondorian style of architecture, loads of ruins, then the rest can be pretty much upto you, stretch your creative muscles!