All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:25 pm

Post subject: Game Board Help
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hello peeps :)

Despite me not being much of a gamer I have long been wanting to make a decent game board. After seeing Feanor's 'Of rocks and mithril' project I was much inspired to make a mines board. However, superb thought the concept was, after a while of thought I decided that mines would be too limited for some of my armies such as my Rohan and Elves.
Therefore I have decided to try to make a simple battle plain, but I wish to include some kind of water feature, such as a river, on my board.
However, I don't want to make a boring repetitive board to play on, that jumps to the same old 'defend the river' scenario every time.
So far I have accumilated 4, 500mm square aluminium boards to construct my gaming board with.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how to defeat the old repetitiveness problem while still making the board not look too 'section-y' If you get what I mean.

Post subject: Re: Game Board Help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As long as you're only using 4 boards if you build the water directly into it you may be limited. After all, you're either going to have a full thru river or a couple short independent ones (that may look weird).

Perhaps you can build a nice water feature, like a waterfall coming down a corner hill into a small pool, or just a pool on it's own (thinking 'spring' here). Then use separate modular river sections to branch off from this if you want. This way you can have a very nice pool that will still make for some interesting movement issues and the option of rivers if you want.

Otherwise, if you can get 3-4 more of those tiles to swap in and out then you can come up with a couple river paths and just choose not to use them some times.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Forgot to add...I can't wait to see what you come up with based on your creative work on minis! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the advice Beo 8) :) Much appreciated I'll do some more designing and post my ideas once done :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i'm currently buildng a permanent board with a river but will make some separate bridges so that you can move them around so it wont be the same all the time and add to that some different scenarios and unless you play a thousand games I don't think a board will become boring although it might become similar at some times.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Are any of you guys making dangerous terrain such as this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have a couple terrain pieces in progress that include cave entrances. One is designed to look like a tunnel used by goblins or such and the other is very specifically for a trapdoor style spider. To help liven up the woodland terrain pieces I'm doing.

Yours looks great! What did you use for the webs? I was thinking of trying stringed-out hot glue gun or else the little strings left from hot-wire cutting white foam. But I haven't had a chance to experiment with either yet. Yours look very realistic.

Would also love to see a wider angle shot. Maybe start up a thread to show off?