All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:45 pm

Post subject: How to Make Gaming Board
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I want to make a board to play on, just a basic 6x4 painted brown with flock on it but don't really know where to start. I cannot find any guides online.

I was guessing I would go with plywood or something like that, but how can I stop it from warping?

On a similar note, when I make terrain using hardboard bases, how do I stop that from warping when I flock it?

Finally, does anyone know anywhere to get flock in a very standard colour, I don't want to get some then find out later that it is no longer sold so cannot fix patches in the table.

Thanks
 Post subject: Re: How to Make Gaming Board
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here is a guide on building the actual board from the guys at MiniWarGaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PugcM5BE0H4

Beasts of War did a mini-series in which they built their own modular gaming table, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I don't have any personal experience with this project. The closest I've ever come to building a gaming table was flocking a thin foam board one time. Good luck and have fun :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

MDF
Brown paint
Sand

Mix the paint and sand together to create a cheap textured paint then paint all over the mdf. Leave to dry for 24 hours then flock away. Check out my WIP, got some pictures in there.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd use 9mm mdf. Plywood has a tendency to warp unless its 18mm or so. And it's generally more expensive. 3mm hardboard has always stayed rigid for me. If you're in America and have difficulty getting mdf use chipboard.

When I made my board I bought flock on a roll and pasted it down with wallpaper paste them smoothed it our with a seam roller.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gene Parmesan wrote:
I'd use 9mm mdf. Plywood has a tendency to warp unless its 18mm or so. And it's generally more expensive. 3mm hardboard has always stayed rigid for me. If you're in America and have difficulty getting mdf use chipboard.

When I made my board I bought flock on a roll and pasted it down with wallpaper paste them smoothed it our with a seam roller.

There are a lot of ways to answer your question. My suggestions are going to is going to depend on How you answer mine. Where are you, where are you going to put the board if it is not on a dedicated gaming table and finally a budget. You can buy every thing or make everything or something in between.

I have used roll flock and it has been around more than 50 years.
Sand is a double edged sword. It works well but If you use sand to surface a 3/4" or 20mm 4'X6' sheet of plywood you really have a giant emery board.
If you are going to move the board around as one section and have limited access to tools. I would recommend a 2" x 4' X 6' sheet of Pink foam. You wont have to frame it and you can edge it with the decorative duck tape that my God Children and Grand Nieces like so much. The sad thing is the Pink foam is hard to find in some localities.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oldman Willow wrote:
Gene Parmesan wrote:

There are a lot of ways to answer your question. My suggestions are going to is going to depend on How you answer mine. Where are you, where are you going to put the board if it is not on a dedicated gaming table and finally a budget. You can buy every thing or make everything or something in between.

I have used roll flock and it has been around more than 50 years.
Sand is a double edged sword. It works well but If you use sand to surface a 3/4" or 20mm 4'X6' sheet of plywood you really have a giant emery board.
If you are going to move the board around as one section and have limited access to tools. I would recommend a 2" x 4' X 6' sheet of Pink foam. You wont have to frame it and you can edge it with the decorative duck tape that my God Children and Grand Nieces like so much. The sad thing is the Pink foam is hard to find in some localities.

I am int he UK, I'm plaaning on storing the board in a garage or shed. I haven't really got a buget at the moment, but I would prefer to keep costs to a minimum if things can be done cheaper if I DIY it.

I won't be able to move the boad around as 1, it will need to be in 2 parts so i can move it.

Is sand not recomended then? I was planning on just spraying it brown then flocking it.

Also, how is it best to stick down flock/sand? Last time I tried my board ended up really warped. I was considering hardboard because I could screw it to a strong frame.

Thanks for the help.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I am int he UK, I' m plaaning on storing the board in a garage or shed. I haven't really got a buget at the moment, but I would prefer to keep costs to a minimum if things can be done cheaper if I DIY it.

I won't be able to move the boad around as 1, it will need to be in 2 parts so i can move it.

Is sand not recomended then? I was planning on just spraying it brown then flocking it.

Also, how is it best to stick down flock/sand? Last time I tried my board ended up really warped. I was considering hardboard because I could screw it to a strong frame.

The frame should take care of the warping. I like hard board so long as you are able to make square cuts. I would use saw dust instead of sand if you can get some. I do not mix saw dust with paint unless I want to make flocking.
Spray paint will also cut down on warping.
Spraying the board and then Flocking will work fine.
I like to make my own spray glue to attach flocking. I am sure some one in the UK can recommend a brand if you would rather buy it. I suggest strongly that you use some kind of sifter to apply flocking. Use as many colors as you can afford or use one of the blends. My favorite is Scenic Express Alpine blend. Apply it over your base flocking color. Woodland Scenic Earth yellow blend is what I like best. The Scenic Express blend has some static grass in it.
I will add some links if you like.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can get board cut to size in b&q