All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Post subject: Over grown urban bases
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I want to create urban like bases but with bits of grass and an almost 'post apocalyptic' feel to them. Does anyone have any armies based like this or have any hints? Thanks!
 Post subject: Re: Over grown urban bases
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The first thing would be what size bases are you after.
If its the standard small base then how much you can fit in will be the first problem.
You need to first sort this then get some inspiration photos over overgrown cities. Look at photos of Chernobyl for some ideas.
I've not done bases like this but I would be thinking of broken walls with long vegetation. Check massive voodoo for Moss Dosh as a way of adding that unkempt look.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've been doing this with my Raven Guard Space Marines. I used a grey colour scheme for the sand (black, drybrushed with codex grey then fortress grey), and GW's yellow Dead Grass.

The grey sand was supposed to represent an urban environment, crumbled concrete and other urban debris but I wouldn't recommend it, doesn't look very realistic. A neutral brown sand to represent soil, with more realistic urban debris (e.g. sculpted bricks, paving stones etc) and some grass scatter would be better.

For my Mines of Moria Fellowship, I'm sculpting (or rather, carving) cobblestone bases out of milliput, and painting them in a variety of colours to represent a cobblestone road in Moria. Adding some grass scatter would make it appear like an above ground city such as Osgiliath.

Click to: Show

Its a lot of work though as the tabs have to cut away and the models pinned via the legs to the base. I've only completed Boromir so far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys, it'll mostly be the standard infantry base. I'd like to see some pictures of your Raven Guard Space Marines King Ondoher.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is my Mines of Moria Boromir. The base is a cobblestone road set in Moria, carved from cured milliput. On Dead Marsh Spectre's advice I textured it using crumpled aluminium foil before scratching and carving the individual stones using the point of a round metal hobby file.

I basecoated it with a mid range brown (Vallejo leather brown), painted each stone with a different colour (codex grey, Iyanden darksun, etc), gave it a heavy wash of devlan mud and then drybrushed the entire base with bleached bone. Though in future I think I might just give it a lighter brown wash and not drybrush it.

As it is this is supposed to represent Moria, but with a little static grass, and removing some of the stones and filling in the gaps with sand to represent missing stones with weeds growing through, it could represent a road set in a city like Osgiliath.

Note, some of the yellow flecks are the bare milliput showing through where the paint has rubbed or chipped away. I think I might need to repaint the base.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the visual inspiration!