All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:31 am

Post subject: 28mm Helms Deep
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is a 28mm Helms Deep that I had made, but have not used yet. It is made of solid wood...and is about 75 pounds. Cost about $1500.

Tom
http://tidesofwargaming.blogspot.com/
 Post subject: Re: 28mm Helms Deep
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Simply, SPLENDID! It is a real joy to see such an excellent bit of workmanship, should be a joy to game with!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Especially as the Rohan defenders will have the Republic gunships to help them lol (2nd pic looks like they are flying in)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do you still have the article In wargame Illustrated about Castle Works. I can't find mine. I would like to make a roller stamp so that I can match some of the old castles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

[quote="JamesR"]Especially as the Rohan defenders will have the Republic gunships to help them lol

Never trust a clone! W all know how that turned out.

Oldman willow. could you put a link to the rollers you mentioned please?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bilbo wrote:
JamesR wrote:
Especially as the Rohan defenders will have the Republic gunships to help them lol

Never trust a clone! W all know how that turned out.

Oldman willow. could you put a link to the rollers you mentioned please?

I don't think there is one. The article was from before 1999.
I am going to have to make a stamp and or roller for myself. I will add it to a tool WIP.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will look it up I have the mags both of them in Miniature Wargames magazines .

tom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Miniature Wargames magazines
:rofl:
No wonder I could not find it. I was looking in Wargamer's illustrated. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

looks absolutely awesome! :D

Can I play on it? ^^
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Certainly looks very awesome... but $1500? phewee!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Aren't walls a little bit too clean? I have noticed moss and a little bit of "dirt" on higher level, but still.. it's an old stronghold ;)

Anyway, impressive work. I just love the way you painted wood! Really good job!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That would be fantastic as I have a Helms that has been made to scale, but needs details to finish it!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oldman Willow wrote:
Do you still have the article In wargame Illustrated about Castle Works. I can't find mine. I would like to make a roller stamp so that I can match some of the old castles.

The only article I have is in Issue 90 of Miniature Wargames mag pg 15-17, but I think there was another one. Its under Tim Vawter (The owner) not the Castleworks company, its before he started a business I think.

Tom

I just bought all back issues from Miniature Wargames mag from 75-350, so I will look again, all I have is 1-74 and a few in the 200's.

I personally do not recommend him to you. I have 2 bad experiences and lost about $2500 in 2010 and half a castle completed in 2003 but ordered in 1997, if that tells you anything. Long story. But yes I was stupid for doing business with him again...my blinders were way on.

Last edited by darclegion on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SkymaN wrote:
Aren't walls a little bit too clean? I have noticed moss and a little bit of "dirt" on higher level, but still.. it's an old stronghold ;)

Anyway, impressive work. I just love the way you painted wood! Really good job!

I agree it needs a new paint job. I did not make it or paint it. The CAstle Works company did, which I do not recommend, read my blog or go to the TMP and put look up the Castle Works company on the manufactures list and see the consumer complaints against him from me. I was stupid to do business with him again...my fault.

Anyways, I am not going to repaint it, but I have another Helms Deep that he made me (or half way made me) in 1997-2003 ( I had to threaten to throw a lawsuit at him. You talk about ugly paint job...that one is really bad, I plan on repainting it. I tried selling it, its in 20mm scale. I had it made back when I was into 15mm in the 90's. Could not sell it, I paid $900 for it, but it is about 90 lbs or so. So I am going to repaint the ugly thing the same way I painted my Minas Tirith so that I can back it up to my mountain backdrops.

scroll to the bottom of the page, I added some pics of the 20mm Helms Deep, which will work for true 25mm sorta...but made for 15mm. It works for 28mm dwarf armies...and that is what I am using it for, after I repaint it.
http://tidesofwargaming.blogspot.com/2013/08/28mm-helms-deep.html
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am lucky I did not order the Helms Deep myself. It was a close thing. I had not had a good experience with him the first time and I was reluctant.
I restored my model last summer.

1/4 dated 4/26/98 They felt that 4 walls would be more playable than 6

There were two of these made. I believe there was a magazine article featuring the other. A friend saw it and talked me into going in on it. It arrived at the very last moment but only after I refused to pay for it if it did not arrive on the agreed date. Tim V wanted more shipping too.
By friend passed away before the LOTR movie game out. It was sad he was a very big fan.

I thought about replacing this section.

The fit was bad. I did not think it was very well done. I did not bother.
I wanted to make a stamp because I was thinking about some more modular additions.

I think your backdrop would make a very good addition to the fortress. Can not wait to see a photo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you! Eventually I am going to play a large Helms Deep game and maybe see how those mountain back drops work with it, could look good. The other Helms Deep is going to be repainted...trying to make it look better. I had asked him not to make the back open, but he ignored my request, seems he makes them how he wants to. That is the main reason I want to back it up to those mountains. I didn't want a doll house.

Yes, Tim V is not a very good businessman, seems to be the same story I hear from anyone who has crossed path with the guy. Its sad, because he has talent, but lacks on the business end, and especially is very bad at turn around, if at all, its a matter of luck. The only thing he is good at is taking your money real fast. The whole time he promised 6 weeks on the Helms Deep and then 6 weeks on the Minas Tirith that he has listed on his site. 1.5 years later I got Helms Deep, 6 months after that, he informed me that he was not making Minas Tirith, and that after he won his lawsuit for internet harassment against a long list of whoever...Google, You tube, etc..on and on, he would pay me back (its been almost 2 years now, no money returned). Basically he kept all my $2500 which was for Minas Tirith and shipping...totally up to $2500. I lost all of that money. I was so angry I built my own Minas Tirith. I got the New Jersey Attorney Generals office involved and turns out there was another claim against, plus one a few years previously. Mostly from people in other countries. Thankful New Jersey was on my side, and went after him, it went from County to the State level, hopefully he paid the price in fines, which could be up to and more than $15,000. He had to be subpoena to come in to the NJ Attorney office to make a statement...took like 3 months to get him in there. Then he wrote me a nasty email about me getting the AG involved.

I think I remember seeing your fortress online many times. And also on here awhile back. The Minas Tirith that is on his website, I have never found out who owns it, and he would not talk much about it to me....I think I know why.

But I love those pics you posted, your Minas Tirith looks great! Great restoration.

I also noticed that the Helms Deep (the newer one) that I have was on a video Tim V makes pre dating before I ordered it. Meaning, He sold me something that was half made already and took 1.5 years to finish it. He makes these videos of himself talking online about stuff I don't care about, and in the background on one of the videos there was my Helms Deep, but about a year or so before I ordered it. When I put in my order, the whole time, he was pushing me to let him do Helms Deep first, said it was smaller and faster to make. I wonder whose Helms Deep it was originally for, someone who probably got tired of waiting on it and said forget it.

I am glad I just washed my hands of that whole mess. Scary thing is, he still has his website up and running.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
But I love those pics you posted, your Minas Tirith looks great! Great restoration.

Thanks. I have had to make some repairs, but it has held up well. I have had a lot of fun with it. Sadly it takes up too much space.

I saw Troy at Warfair, and the Siege Of Augusta. Glad it found a good Home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes it found a good home, fixing to get Carthage in the mail this week!!!

If you ever want to sell it let me know. I have stared at it for years.

tom
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ah Helm's Deep, one of my favourite structures in Middle-Earth. Loved building this, but I'm getting ride of it next summer as I have no space left for it :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Spanking, always good to see an ambitious project realised!
Have you played o it yet?