All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

to right BK, so much effert has been put in to the comp. and im very happy, is it me or is most things these days about money or getting somthing for nothing. i cant wait entil december as you will be able to see some of my work. in not really excepting to win as every one on this site is a brillent painter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Barduck, I think, everybody can honestly judge him/herself in what category his minis/skills fit.
I have been into this hobby less time than you (started only July this year) but without arrogance can say, mostly due to the encouraging comments I've received (they'd helped me really a lot), that I am not a beginner anymore...
it's not the time you'd spent on painting minis or their number that defines the skill level.

I think it's nice to have such categories here to encourage beginners to participate and feverishly paint with the others and show their results.

@Admin, is it meant that the mini should be painted within that time range?
(or can it be painted before). I would like the idea knowing that many others of us, all over the planet, are sitting at the same time painting their mini :-)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

@Beatrice: there is no restriction to when the mini was painted.

@anyone who asked: Terrain includes any kind of construction (siege towers, vehicles, vessels, catapults etc) as well as the standard definition of terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What's wrong with his language? He even put ** in s**t and we all know what word that would have been. I feel he does have a point in what he's saying (writing) but comes on a bit strong maybe. When you see the ship in his gallery and then read it didn't got in to the hall of fame (as I remember correctly he put it in the nominees the same time the Haradrim Raider from Banjo was in, and that month only the raider made the hall.) So I guess he feels he has no change on getting anything out of it, especialy against people like Banjo etc who have more experience in it.
I only joined the site now (I've followed it quite longer) so I know my oppinion on this will be discussed. However I do wish to point out that, he (Barduck) did not made the hall of fame here with his ship but managed to win 2 beautiful prices with it on the white city (ebob ranger and 5$ blister). And he got very nice coments on it here. Makes a man wonder doesn't it?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For starters, this is a family site Martok. Swearing of any kind, even using ** does not make make it OK. The site has a swear filter for a reason. We have members of all ages and what kind of example does this show?

Secondly about the hall of fame, it is voted for by the Mods and admin, and if that month they chose not to put a model in then they didnt. Some months there are draws and so more than one model goes in, and in that case he missed out. Since we didnt have the number of mods before that we do now, the votes were fairly limited.

As far as that being a guage for how votes will fair in the competition, well that is part of the point. An open section will push people to their limits and I hope we get the best examples from every entrant. So you see, its a goal, like the Hall of Fame. It is something to head towards - I know thats how I treated it, I really pushed to improve to get in, and now my painting all together has benifited from that.

As a final note, just because something won prizes on another site doesnt mean it will win anything here.a different group of people have different opinions, and things like the Hall of Fame are limited to the taste of the Mods in the end I am afraid.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:09 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Quote:
What's wrong with his language? He even put ** in s**t

If the forum does not allow you to spell the entire word, then that word is not allowed in any shape or form.

I am simply dumbstruck to read any kind of negative comments about this competition...for gods sake, the winners get things for free...things we and the sponsor (Ebob) have paid for !

To read comments like 'I dont have chance', then your most likely right !

A competition is about showing what you can do in the hobby, by painting miniatures and making terrain to the highest possible standard.
Its not about entering any old piece of rubbish, if this was the case, we may aswell just issue a raffle ticket to every member or pull a name out of a hat !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Also I would like to point out that people don't complain about Golden Demon do they? So how can people justify complaining that a competition is unfair?

This is one of the most well rounded competitions that you can enter with categories for those who are gamers more than painters, so complaining about it is hardly fair.

Just try your best, thats all you can do. If you don't win, its only a competition, not the end of the world.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can only hope that people put the same amount of effort into their competition entries as they have into this post.

If they do then we are in for a cracking competition.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@admin: I have a little question, somewhat technicle maybe. Voting is to be done by the members, right? My question is; how will you insure that there aren't voters who have 2 or more accounts just for the sake of it? I know it can be done (excluding multiple accounts) I'm just wondering how.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The voting process is remaining secret because I do not wish to give people enough information to be able to avoid the measures I have put in place to protect against cheating.

There are a combination of measures implemented to prevent cheating and there is also a final manual checking process that will catch those cheats that the automated measures let slip.

Suffice it to say that anyone found cheating will be banned from the website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i have sent pm's to everyone i thought could have been involved with the compititions but i have not yet recieved a reply (not there fault they are probebly all very buisy)
but with this forum a have a good chance of getting an answer.

it says that for entering the conversion tournie you have to show work-in-progress pics but i dont have any for the model i would like to enter.
can i still enter it under any surcumstances????
and secondly does it have to be painted if it is entered????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Yorda, The WIP photos are to show that it is not a premade figure from another unknown source and that you have actually made some conversion to the figure. If a Photo of it in 'the bare flesh' shows what conversion you have made then that should suffice.

And secondly Yes the figure does have to be painted.

Hope this helps.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

oboy oboy, great job staff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

well, I knew I wouldn't finish it on time! Sorry folks, but there will be a slight delay (a couple of days) to the start of the contest while I struggle with the coding and real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:26 am 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Alam, you seriously need to get your priorites right...ditch the family and concentrate on OR ! :p

Seriously, totally understandable !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As previously mentioned we should all get behind Dagorlad, well not right behind him as that will start some rumours, and make it difficult for him to walkbackwards, so everyone just chant
*Go Daggy Go* at their Pc's

It won't help but will hopefully make your teachers/partners/friends think you are more crazy than me :D

Oh and will probably give Dagorlad some encouragement.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

don't put yourself under too much pressure, Dagorlad.

Everbody here is looking forward to the competition, and it is great anyway, that one is held, but me - and I am sure am speaking for others as well - wouldn't mind if it started two or three or four weeks later.

yes, why not let it be the first mini or diorama we are going to make in the new year? everybody may have more time then in the busy month of December ... ;-)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well I am going to put at least one thing into the competition, though I have better ideas for later ones but there just is not enough time and though I am sure my painting/modelling is not up to the highest O-R standard, I would hope to pick up constructive criticism from the more skilled and creative people out there; I probably just have time enough for 1 decent mini, so that is the goal. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks Dag, and anyone else who has helped the awards, its the biggest comp ive ever seen on a internet site, and probably the BEST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have a question; Say I have a painted converted miniature, can I enter it in both sculpt/conversion and painted miniature?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next