All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:29 am

Who is the stronger race over all in the game, movies, and books?
Elves!!! 55%  55%  [ 26 ]
Humans!!! 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Dwarves!!! 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Hobbits!!! 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Uruk Hai, Orcs 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
Tolkien never said that specifically. It was just presumed by Tolkien fans that the Dwarves would retake Moria.

It says in an appendix, that they did, under durin the last untill the line failed:
Quote:
Durin VII, also known as Durin the Last, was held to be a reincarnation of Durin the Deathless. His birth was prophesied at the Battle of Five Armies, and he led Durin's Folk back to recolonise Khazad-dûm "several centuries" after the beginning of the Fourth Age, where they remained 'until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended' (according to The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Making of Appendix A (iv): Durin's Folk").
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting... I was saying what I had read else where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Actually the Rangers of Middle Earth are the spec ops of Middle Earth the Elves are elite but Aragorn and his men actually do missions in the east of middle earth and ambush orc units in Eriador.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Warlord777 wrote:
No offense but who voted Hobbits ? :?

I voted Hobbits. What? Is there a problem with that??? Who walked thousands of miles carrying an object of pure evil around his neck to dump it in a pool of lava? Who had the balls to enter into an old abandoned Dwarven treasure vault to confront a red dragon!?! What sort of people are so bold to wear short-pants that stop at your shins!? And even bolder to show man love openly without even being gay (though it kind of leans towards that direction)?

And last of all who is the one that despaired that they would all get killed by Uruk-hai because they were outnumbered at Helm's Deep? Yeah that's what I thought, I rest my case.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ok, here I go, I'll try not to re-iterate too much...

It all really depends on how you measure said strength. Plus, you haven't factored in the other, smaller races like the Woses, Ents, Eagles or Dragons.

In the game: This usually comes down to elves, or dwarves. Sure, the elves are better in almost every way (which is wrong IMO) but with dwarves, you'll have a force that is rock-hard and fairly skilled with most weapons, albeit being kept quite tightly bunched up. However, an elf or dwarf (although dwarves can be quite cheap) army is almost always expensive (in points and money) whereas other races, especially hobbits, cost a lot less in points, and will have less numbers difference between them and an evil army.
IMHO it's between men and dwarves; men are VERY balanced, all-rounded armies, they're also cheap, with some amazing heroes to choose from. Dwarves, whilst they have no cavalry, are quite strong- high defence, *reasonably* high fight value, courage et cetera.

In the books: Affirmative. they were obviously at their strongest in the first age, weathering attacks from Sauron AND Morgoth together
:no: and still able to give about as good as they got. Even well into the third age they were strong.
... However, I would like to make one minor point: The dwarves were pretty much equal to the elves in craftsmanship-particularly the area of weaponry; eg Angrist, mithril armour, the horn which Meriadoc got from Eowyn, Narsil (yes, elves did reforge Narsil into Anduril).

@aelfwine: :no: The elves are not demi-gods, that's what The Maiar are.

@Thorin and co. : The dwarf kings became selfish, greedy and secretive after receiving their rings....

*wipes forehead*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Anduril Blade of Kings wrote:
Pity there's so few, or Sauron could have been wiped off the board a lot sooner....

Well the whole story would have been quite a bit shorter if there were more, so I guess were lucky.