All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:19 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like the ToS GT rules.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... s_Pack.pdf

I especially like the clever way that they have encouraged ‘balanced’ armies by making the 'favourite army' source of points very important. You only get 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. However, if you get 3+ votes for favourite army you pick up 5 points. That ‘Pinwheel of Death’ might pick up 5 straight wins and 15 points; but so could a well-painted and balanced army if it won 3 and drew 1 and got 3+ votes for the army.

Even more to my liking is the way that the overall winner is chosen. It is the player whose points exceed the average for his faction by the greatest amount. Why is this such a good thing? Take this scenario: You field a Rohan army and lose all but one game and scrape a draw. You also pick up 3+ votes. You now have 6 points. Let’s say that the rest of the players fielding Rohan fare even worse and pick up and average of 1 point. That’s a +5 difference. Compare this to the possibility that the players fielding Moria armies, with everyone turning up with 2 x Balrog, Druzhag and what-have-you, stomp their way to 4+ wins and an average of 13 points. Even if you win all five and somehow pick up 2 votes for favourite army, that only makes 17 points, a difference of +4. The Rohan player wins overall.

Finally, I like how opponent’s are selected. That gross 4+ Ringwraiths army might conquer all in the first round, there-after it is very likely going to face similar in subsequent rounds.

Very subtle and a very good way of balancing things. Well done GW.