All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:35 pm

Post subject: Re: Countering the 5 Ringwraith Mordor army
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Slythar,

You could go one step further: Imagine an evil army with a horde of 2H Axe armed Prowlers striking this Gorgoroth Horde in the flank/rear with Amdur (as an ally) calling a Rampage and your own Khamul (as an ally) alongside him. Khamul casts Strength through corruption on the prowlers before the Rampage. They now have S5 v D3 of the Gorgoroth horde they attack (containing the opponent's Khamul). S5 needs 3+, +1 for 2H wpns, +1 for Prowler attack. That's 1+ again :)
What happens now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
What happens now?

The game blows up and annihilates the planet?

My group has had dueling khamul's before. It's kinda funny watching 2 khamuls play ping pong with hits. I think they once bounced the last hit back and forth about 5 times before one of them finally failed a roll.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That may be fun ONE time...but so many of the scenarios described above just sound like they would ruin the game (or at least any interest in playing that particular player/army again) after that one time.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
The game blows up and annihilates the planet?

Well, if you take the stance that first you count that the Prowlers have inflicted an infinite number of hits, then Khamul #1 reflects a third of these back, Khamul #2 re-reflects a third of these ....

For those interested it seems we're now close to the realm of denumerable infinites, I think (is the third of infinity that Khamul #1 reflects infinite or smaller than infinite?). Gregor Cantor's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Cantor work might (might not) help here.

To think that the medieval Schoolmen, such as St Thomas were criticized for debating how many "Angels might dance on a pin-head".

Could any non-wargamer ever realise how high-brow our hobby is :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
Quote:
Could any non-wargamer ever realise how high-brow our hobby is :)

You actually made me laugh, and my wife roll her eyes at my forum reading, when I read that.

This is indeed why I like to preserve my sanity and avoid thinking too hard about some things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
This is indeed why I like to preserve my sanity and avoid thinking too hard about some things.

Which is why, after posting, I went and painted up some Moria Goblins. To be honest, after realising that I'd spent over 24 man hours on 3 companies of the little fellows (five shades of green for their wee faces, no less) and with 330 planned for my 1500 pt army I wasn't too sure whether painting was any less sanity threatening. Especially when I looked at some I'd painted using Army Painter which looked near enough the same en masse.

In truth all these rule debates aren't really that important: amongst friends you reach your own agreement; if organising a tournament you post your own interpretations; and If at a GT/Throne of Skulls tournament you do as Blackmist did and ask beforehand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
Quote:
In truth all these rule debates aren't really that important: amongst friends you reach your own agreement; if organising a tournament you post your own interpretations; and If at a GT/Throne of Skulls tournament you do as Blackmist did and ask beforehand.

Sage advice, and good for any wargame too.