All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 8:38 pm

Post subject: Str.Or Fight. which do you look for in army selection?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For some reason this is bugging me.Figured i would put it up to you guys.

When you select forces for your army,which is more important to you?

Fight,I can see where having a high fight vaule would come in handy.However no matter how many extra dice you get off of this stat, if you don't have a high enough strength to even hit anything what good does it do?

Strength: sooner or later you are going to be into hand to hand combat.
A high strength value helps in hitting your opponent and smooshing him good 8)
But,if you only have 2 attacks against a company of 8,it's not going to do you much good :roll:
So what do you go with?
or am i just overthinking this here game.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A Balance.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

7Thunders, in WOTR I look for neither.

With the exception of crossbows (which Gondor does not have but which are worthwhile in all the lists that do)I look first at cost, defense rating and special abilities to hit. The pure +1 to hit from lances and 2HW, the bonus charge/flank abilities some get and abilities like Berserker are general are far bigger deal to how lethal a unit is than it's str or fight value.

Aside from these, it's some combination of numbers and/or high defense that seems to make units work well in WOTR.

In this game, it's being able to take punishment, hit flanks and use heroes/abilities well that sees to count the most.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I only look at fight value when it comes to heroes since that'll help a lot in a heroic duel. I look mostly at the balance between cost, strength, defence, special abilities, and magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i always go for fight value, seeing as most things take a 6 to wound regardless if you are strength 3 or strength 4. there are some exceptions i know, but generally most troops will have d7 (womt, easterlings, uruk hai, high elves, basically everthing in the dwarf army list, morannon orcs). as has been said, i think that +1 to wound is far more useful.

but saying that, i have elves, and they only have two things in their entire army above s3. also, their high fight is waaaaay better when combined with terror. with most things, a higher fv will only give you 1 or 2 extra dice, not 6 or 7 like elves. elves pwn everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a small (1000) point Elves army.

I like How the Knights have 4 attacks. So in the case Of elves I look at the fight value.

My main army I play is Rohan. When it comes to them,I look for a higher strength value in order to hit.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Elven Fight + Terror + Glaives is a different matter. The combo of abilites + raw fight value their key advantage.

In the case of Rohan, I think that whether it is Str 3 or 4 is largely incidental to your Epic Charges (or even rage, if you engineer a rear charge) using key leaders like Theoden and trying to screen then hit flanks like a cav army.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fight: Extra attacks means extra potential deaths and strength isn't all that important as you need +2S to get a dice roll of 1 better (e.g. S4 needs a 4+ against D4, but it would take getting a S of 6 to need a 3+ against D4).

Obviously, if something is S10 with F3 and the alternative is F4 with S2, I'd want the S10 F3, but generally, S and D aren't all that great ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

usually strength. like Morrannons, f3 s4 they also have a good defence. or dwarves have a high fight and strength AND double handers! so fight is only useful if you desperatly need the attacks, (like elves) stregnth will kill you troops