All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:42 pm

Post subject: 1k Children of Aulë (dwarves) *FIXED ...no more Hornblowers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: a hole in the ground..not a dirty dark nasy hole but a hobbit hole and that means comfort
OK first of all I know Durins gaurd isnt the strongest choice ..obviously * BUT* even though I failed to mention it this is a khazad-dum themed army. not enough vault wardens unfortunately and im unsure whether or not the kings champion is viable but I'm still going for it since it was my first army that i could actaully play with in the sbg ..and if you recall Durin was BEASTLY(def) in the sbg ...I know dain was def 9 too but I dont care

Durins Gaurd 3 companies
=300
4 companies
Dwarf Warriors w/ shields
BB, , Shield bearer, captain
=270
3 companies
Dwarf rangers/ bows
=120
Ballistae=60
kings champion.=175
1 company of vault wardens. * proxied until I can actually buy them..I hope to get 3 eventually maybe more X D
=70

=1005 points

Last edited by Thecakewuzalie on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would say.. drop those allied rangers and instead buy a fourth box of dwarf warriors. Up each formation to 4 companies strong, and consider splitting the archers into two units of two companies with no command.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I will tell you the same thing that I tell EVERYONE. REMOVE the hornblowers. Musicians in WotR are worse than uselss, they are a points sink. For the price of two, you can almost get another company of Dwarf Archers. If they added an inch to charge distance as well, they would be more beneificial, but they're not.

Secondly, the archers have no need for a captain. A shieldbearer is still kind of a waste of points on them, but more useful: allows you to heroic shoot if you're desperate, increases their fight and makes them twice as likely to hold when they lose combat. Having said that, they're archers, so combat upgrades are daft here.

Thirdly, upgrade the archers to be rangers with bows: they have less Defence, but they have a longer range (18" is too short to be of use to anyone, let alone people that have to pay 15 points to keep up with everyone else!) and the devastation of thrwoing axes for whent he enemy is that close (they can charge after throwing them too if desperate!).

Thos are probably the biggest changes. So, removing that captaina nd the hornblowers gives you an extra 80 points, meaning you have 90pts. Upgrade the archers to rangers, meaning that you have 75 points to spend. Larger formations are nice, but I agree with removing the rangers to make it so, although it's not necessary.

With dwarfs, you will win in combat, not trying to outshoot the enemy (besides, you already have 3 companies with either shortbows or bows & throwing weapons). The rangers have a pathetic defence compared to your army and they don't have that great of an advantage (I.E. Only range) over your own rangers (who have a higher defence and throwing weapons. May also have a higher courage). 165 points left to spend: another box will allow you to take more dwarf rangers (sculpt cloaks on) and shield warriors, meaning 80 points. Still got 85 points to spend. Another ballista may help, leaving 25 points to spend as you will ;)

Just ideas really, but my key points are: hornblowers are wasting your points, combat upgrades on archers isn't useful points allocation and dwarf rangers are immensely superior to archers.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Agreed on musicians. If you have 15 points at the end of the list to spend, sure throw one in. Otherwise leave them out.

Agreed on captains for archers. Not necessary.

Also agree about dawrf ranger versus dwarf archers. Offensive output is better than the slight defensive increase. Not that dwarf archers are bad, but dwarf rangers are better.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I truly think that Durins guard is not worth the points! you are paying 200 points for Durin and Murdin not counting companies. Durin also has no Epic Actions!!! Id rather take more Khazad or put a better hero in such as Dain or Gimli (preferably Dain).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Who needs epic actions when you have +2 to wound, cause terror, ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The list is looking very good now. Only thing that I would say here is that, only because it's 1,0005 points, switch the captain for another company of dwarves (which is possibly more useful anyway, since the Shieldbearer allows At the Double! moves ;) ).

Alternatively, if your opponents don't care, then keep him. But an idea is to play a game that way and then play a game where you've switched him for another company of Khazad Guard (proxied at a guess) and see which you prefer.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like durin's guard. I say keep it even if they are kind of high points cost for a 1K army. Though I will admit they are a better fit in a 1500 point army.