All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:33 am

Would you let me use WoMT as Easterlings, to represent renegade Gondor soldiery?
Yes, It's a good idea, go for it! 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but I'm a bit wary about the idea... 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
No, I just can't see it... 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
No, go buy some more miniatures if you want to play WoTR! 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Proxies: Minas Tirith Renagades
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello One-Ringers,

I'm a five year SBG player, and I want to dip my toes into the WoTR arena, however, my modest Mordor army his very hero heavy and I need to bulk out my force.

My idea is to buy a few more box sets (One of Mordor Orcs and one of Morannons) and then add existing evil models in as allies. While staring upon my MT collection, the idea hit me, MT warriors gone renagade.

I know that Mordor cannot ally with Gondor, but I could add them in as Counts as Easterlings (without the pikes, that would be dirty). The F4 could be justified as boons from Sauron himself.

They would be repainted (MT was the first army I collected, suffice to say it looks terrible) as normal warriors of MT, but would have a red trim on their cloth, to represent their new alleigance.

My Question is, would you be happy to play an army with such proxies, or am I a cheapskate looking for an excuse not to spend more money. Also, please post if you have any detailed ideas I could use as a fluff explanation.

Thanks,
FP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry, I just don't think that would really work. After all, even if Gondorian soldiers did go renegade (which I think is unlikely) they wouldn't wear their old Gondor armour any more.
Perhaps you could build a Gondor WoTR army after your Evil army?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It might work, if you did a little converting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think most players would have no objection with them as short-term proxies. Sort of a "look folks, for a few games I'd like to have this WoMT formation represent a formation of Easterlings." We do a lot of proxy play in our local group as people try out different armies or units within an army. A lot of times you want to be sure that it's going to be effective and fun before you drop $30 - $100 on models you may regret later :shock: .

As for a permanent unit though, I think it's really stretching it. Off the top of my head I'm just not thinking of a good, themed justification. As posted earlier it may be best to just proxy them for a little while until you decide if you want Easterlings, in which case pick up a box or two of plastics. And once they are freed up strip them and repaint them to your new standards as part of your new Minas Tirith army to squash the Evil army you're building.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I give you Black Numenoreans.

Nah , i'm joking, i think you would need to do a little more than paint the cloth red, but apart from that if you are using them as Easterlings, i dont see whats wrong with, as Beowulf said, it's a good thing to do if you do not want to commit to anything at this stage.

OERP