All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:28 am

Saruman or Gandalf the Grey?
Saruman 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Gandalf 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Saruman or Gandalf the Grey???
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm runnning a Dwarf army at the moment and am looking for some magical support. My Question is this:

Should I pick:

Saruman OR Gandalf the Grey in a 3K list?

Poll will be posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like both, but gandalf is a lot more fluffy.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In my humble opinion Gandalf is more realible, but Saruman is more powerful. I'd take Saruman simply because he has access to the Spells of Ruin (my favourite :D ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Radagast :wink:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gandalf had dealings with the Dwarves that I really doubt Saruman did, so I would say he's a good choice just for theme. But even for power I think Gandalf the Grey is fantastic. His special spell ( Blinding Light? ) is awesome for weakening enemy formations before you charge obviously, but additionally one of the great banes of Dwarf formations can be Spirits (though Dwarf Courage is good, it's not as good as their Armor and so they are weaker in that respect...and typically easy prey to Courage Draining spells). So Blinding Light can also blast those pesky Spirit Formations if present.

That aside, Gandalf has a great range of spells on his own and can help keep the strong Dwarf Heroes stocked with Might. He can also help restore lost models. Considering that it usually takes a while to wear down a Dwarf Company this can really go a long way.

Besides, I may be wrong (no book with me right now) but I don't think Saruman the White has Touched By Destiny, does he?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

lorelorn wrote:
Radagast :wink:

I have gone with this as well
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Besides, I may be wrong (no book with me right now) but I don't think Saruman the White has Touched By Destiny, does he?

No, he doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Personally I am of the belief that Gandalf is a superior choice. He is more in theme with the dwarves due to the large number of dealing he had with them. Additionally he's a little bit of a beast.

His unique spell is more than capable of dealing with spirit formations which as mentioned can rob the Dwarves of some of their advantages in resilience. Additionally with command he can also case light of the Valar in concert to obliterate spirit formations. He has the ability to restore wounds ofn dwarves, he is an insipring leader and has touched by destiny. Combined with epic renewal and counsellor this means he can really provide a lot of might support.

With the spells of Dismay he can also allow your dwarves to engage the opponent one on one.

Radagast is another good choice, and again I feel a more fluffy one. He is a good deal cheaper than Gandalf and comes with his own strengths. With epic tranquility and beastwalk you can suddenly have a formation of evil dwarves able to charge the enemy AND fight the enemy on one-on-one. This will inevitably work to your favour in the first round of combat.

He still has epic renewal and Epic tranquility. Additionally with spells from the wilderness he can boost Dwarven shooting and also hamper an opponets mobility with entangling vines or through counterspells.

He doesn't have the same support role that Gandalf does which is a shame but he's still a good choice.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In 3k I would probably go with both grey Gandalf and Radagast.

You could counsil radagast who can then epic renewal some might back to Gandalf. (If you like that sort of thing)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

gravmania wrote:
In 3k I would probably go with both grey Gandalf and Radagast.

You could counsil radagast who can then epic renewal some might back to Gandalf. (If you like that sort of thing)

Yeah at 3,000 points plus a Galadhrim army can do very much the same with Galadriel and Gandalf. In fact it's even worse then as they can council each other effectively allowing them a free epic action or point of might each turn. Combined with their sheer spell casing ability and the ability to make formations defensive they can make the centre of an elven hoard very solid.

So yeah, Gandalf or Radagast. Or in a big enough game both. I would leave Saruman at home, his spells are good but they lack some of the subtle deadliness of some of the other good spell casters
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yea, counselling eachother is out. (house rule.. :wink: ) nothing about counsel and renewal though..

Those 2 are at the center of the "pinwheel of death", together with White Gandalf