All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: First time WOTR player, Want to start Arnor/Numenor army
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everybody! I've recently decided to start getting to WOTR after try determinedly to ignore it and play WarHammer 40k.

I love the style of the Army of the High King, and really want to use Elendil or Isildur in my army. However, I love the look and feel of the Arnorian army. Do you folks have any tips for a combined army? I dont know what the standard WOTR army size is, so I guess I'll start at 500 and work my way up in 500pt blocks. I want to theme this army right around the formation of Gondor and Arnor, maybe around the time of the Gladden Fields disaster.

Thank you!
:twisted:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can perfectly field arnor and numenorians together and without even ruining the theme! You'll have to be prepared to spend a lot of cash though, especially as you'll be playing WotR, as the only troops of those two which aren't metal are the warriors of numenor with just plain sword and shield. And even for them you'll be buying twice as many high elves (warriors of numenor come in the last alliance box.) so you'll still be paying £15 for 8 numenorians. But if you have the money to spend, go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks! I was just wondering what tips you guys had for the building of such an army and what to run everything as. I love the idea of "Royal Guards" and so I would use Elendil with some converted Warriors of Numenor, Isildur with the Royal Guard of Arnor(My understanding of the rules is loose at best, so IDK if it is legal).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey I call the left over elves!!! :D

Post subject: Re: First time WOTR player, Want to start Arnor/Numenor army
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Earnur's Bane wrote:
Hello everybody! I've recently decided to start getting to WOTR after try determinedly to ignore it and play WarHammer 40k.

I love the style of the Army of the High King, and really want to use Elendil or Isildur in my army. However, I love the look and feel of the Arnorian army. Do you folks have any tips for a combined army? I dont know what the standard WOTR army size is, so I guess I'll start at 500 and work my way up in 500pt blocks. I want to theme this army right around the formation of Gondor and Arnor, maybe around the time of the Gladden Fields disaster.

Thank you!
:twisted:

During this period (the beginning of the Third Age), Arnor and its neighboring countries (Rhudaur, Cardolan, Arthedain) were nearing their zenith until about 1600 years later when the Great Plague hit and wiped out much of the population of Eriador (the geographic region in question). It wasnt until around 1300 that the Nazgul appear and inhabit the northern territories to terrorize the inhabitants and subjugate them.

Numenoreans are an obvious choice for style of armor. But the rangers of middle earth boxed set is also a good choice as there were many hunter/gatherer tribes in this region.

Contrary to advice given above, the vast majority of this army can be done quite cheaply since much of the infantry is plastic kits. They are what were present before the gondorian civil war. Warriors of the last alliance, rangers of middle earth and even warriors of minas tirith could be used if creatively utilized. They will form the bulk of your army unless you insist on using numenoreans explicitly since numenorean bowmen and spearmen are metal only.

If you check around online, you can get a decent bit of info on this region through wiki sites and such. Middle earth roleplaying (merps) source books are also a good source for background though some of it isnt exactly Tolkien canon, they are very well thought out and conceived when they do stray from the canon to flesh out the background. These can also be found online very easily in PDF format from sites like 'Scribd'.

From there you should be able to build a very thematic list based on your vision of this time period to fit with the rules given in WotR.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hellfury wrote:
Arnor and its neighboring countries (Rhudaur, Cardolan, Arthedain)

Sorry to be picky but Arnor = Rhudaur, Cardolan, Arthedain.
It wasn't a separate country, it simply split into 3 :)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anc wrote:
Hellfury wrote:

To continue your "pickiness" :wink:, I'm not sure they were exactly countries. I can't remember Tolkien using the word in LotR. He always used "realm" or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
Anc wrote:
Hellfury wrote:

To continue your "pickiness" :wink:, I'm not sure they were exactly countries. I can't remember Tolkien using the word in LotR. He always used "realm" or something.

Now now no need to be cheeky :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Now getting back on topic. I think that if you convert womt to look arnorion that would take less money.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

new-menor97 wrote:
Now getting back on topic. I think that if you convert womt to look arnorion that would take less money.

A bit of greenstuff on the helmet and a different colour scheme. Paint the nose guard as if it was part of the face and change the style on the shield. I think you would be able to get away with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Look around online - there are lots of people selling the plastic Numenoreans on Ebay.

Another thought - use Warriors of Rohan to represent Northmen mercenaries fighting alongside Arnorian forces.