All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:14 am

Post subject: Elven help(advice needed from players regarding banners etc)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So.. I'm going to WHW HobbyCamp#2 next week, and the closer it gets, the more exciter I get. The HC's don't support WotR (they will play SBG.. shame), but we talked to the guys there and they said they would always wanted to teach us WotR after the Camps. That's also the reason I'm going, to make my elven army ready for WotR, as I'm not really interested in SBG anymore.

Annnyyway, as I haven't played the game yet I obviously don't know anything on how to write a list. So.. I've read the book and I think it's all pretty clear, but I would like to have some 'experience' advice.
To give you guys a lil' more info, I'm collecting a Galadhrim force, and I would like to make lists with WE and Galadhrim combined (some might have seen some of my mini's in the Elven thread).
The total mini's I would have, including the ones I would get at WHW are: 4 WE warbands, 3 WE warbands /w bow, 7 Galadhrim Regiments, 4 Galadhrim archer Regiments, 1 Guards of the Galadhrim Guard Regiment, 7 Galadhrim Knight Regiments.
So these are quite allot of warriors I can choose of, however these are all excluded with heroes, captains, banners etc.

So..

- I don't have the BH yet, but in WotR the first company can buy captains, banners and hornblowers. Are any of these any effective? Would it be recommended to use them?

- Is it common to have more Legendary formations in the same list? I have no sense of the points values yet, and as I'm skimming through the Elf section I see Rumil's formation, Haldir's Formation, Gildor's Household.. I have no idea if it would work if all of these would be in the same list (I have all them models).

There are still plenty of gamewise questions, but I will ask these when I'm in England. I would rather know these small things first, so that I could start converting and such (I mean, I have 2 Galadhrim banners and just 1 WE, no hornblowers.. if these units are commonly used I need to get more! :P).

Thanks to all who read and answered this ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't worry about Battlehosts. They generally require your force to be pushing 2000 points.

The rest of your force looks like a very good beginning. Some of those are your own and some are loaners available thru the Camp? I've never heard of that before (US). Very cool.

To answer your question, Banners in an Elf force may not be too necessary for the Courage tests, but for rerolling Charge distance they rock. 8) I hardly ever use Banners in SBG but am painting them up for my WotR army. Each time I come up 1" short on a Charge roll I realize how helpful they can be. A Hornblower would be very good I have found personally. Elves already a movement bonus which I find pays off nice, especially combined with their Pathfinder rule. But an extra bit of movement makes it even better. If you're not using Wood Elf Sentinels for anything else they make great Hornblower models.

For some games, Captains can be a liability because enemy models with Epic Strike use them as a "gateway" to get to your tough formations and score extra hits. This isn't turning out as bad as some predicted in most games I've played but it's something to keep in mind.

I personally don't find most Legendary Formations worth what they bring if the Hero is available as an Epic Hero as well. An Epic Hero can move to where he's needed and usually has more or better special rules in that form than he does in his Legendary Formation. But in a case where it's not an option then the LF can be cool. For example, if you have Gildor you could turn those Wood Elf warbands into members of his Legendary Formation and have a powerful Ambush force with a fair spell caster to boot.

With the rest of your army, either Haldir, Celeborn or one of the aspects of Galadriel would be great. I wouldn't recommend all three, but any combo of two would probably be fine. Galadriel's War Aspect version is a powerful combat leader which I've played often in SBG and WotR. But her magic version with Celeborn as a combat leader is a nice combo.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All of these forces are my own, but I just do not own everything as of yet.

The way hobby camp works: you pay for the ticket (190 pounds), then there are 5 days of hobby activity of your choosing (40k, WFB or LotR) from 0900 to 1730 in WHW. Dinner is included, so is a battleforce, battalion or equivalent-value-pack for LotR (50/55 pounds) and a large figure case, which will be yours afterwards.
So me and my friends chose for LotR; we aren't interested in WFB and the battleforces aren't that good for us anymore for 40k (I play Black Templars.. I don't need a SM battleforce, plus my army is basically complete, apart from painting). And as we wanted to get into WotR, so.. ;)

When I arrive 2 boxes of Galadhrim, Gildor and 'battle' Galadriel will be waiting for me, and these mini's will be mine after those 5 days (WHW will store them for those 5 days). I will bring my other mini's with me though, otherwise they can't show us the way WotR works.

As for the captains, I do not really get what you mean with the Epic Strike thing. An Epic Hero can always call an Epic Strike right? If I understand it correctly you mean that they will use the Hero to attack, use the strike to get the extra attacks in order to hopefully eliminate the whole formation? You can remove other casualties and leave the captain be. Must be something I'm missing here, as I don't really see why this would be a liability.

I get what you say with the LE/EH thing. The special rule that Haldir has isn't that good as it seems in his LF 'form' (IMHO), and I would agree to think that it is better to get him as an EH.
But when it's not an option it is indeed quite cool. I mean Rumil, I would gladly pay the extra points over the rare formation to get the extra might over a captain, banner and blower for the 55 points extra.

As for my hero, I think I will go indeed for Celeborn or Galadriel (or both). I don't think I will pick Haldir that quickly, I love the Celeborn or Galadriel mini way more.

Guess I have to find a way to make the hornblowers then..
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Don't want to side track this thread w/ Epic Strike comments (there's at least one WotR thread here already about that) but in a nutshell basic Captains have a low enough Fight on average that an Epic Hero with ES can use them as a way of getting a good hit on a Formation when where are other higher Fight EHs in the Formation. Stormcallers / Shaman are another great target for Epic Strike.

That Camp sounds very cool. I wish there were things like that when I was growing up. :sad: I think you're going to have a great foundation of an army when you are done.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com