All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:57 pm

Post subject: Spare Balin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have a spare Balin model and will likely get one every time I add another company of Khazad Guard to my Dwarf army (as it makes sense to buy Balin's Guard as you upgrade one to a Balin model for a pound. 3 blisters of 3 at £8 each makes £24 and Balin's Guard are £25 and you get Balin, plus 8 Khazad Guard).

My question here is: what's the best way to convert him to fill other roles? I can feasibly convert him into Dain Ironfoot to save me having to buy that model (add a little greenstuff to turn his battle crown into a war-helm. Any thoughts on how else to convert him? Maybe remove the throwing axes too, but something to make them stand out from each other a little more...). I was also thinking of somehow making one into Floi Stonehand (not sure how to do this beyond adding a book, but would like something else to help make him different.)...

I already have one AS Balin and then I would likely have at least one or perhaps even two more spare. I am likely to try and trade them for other models, but wondered of what other things I could use them for? (I won't take captains in my Dwarf army as I MUCH prefer Shieldbearers, but I can see the conversions for that being a little more complicated than I fancy for a rnage without spare parts.)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For Floi, there's a good dwarf king model who's holding an axe to his chest kinda like a book (you could add a bit of green stuff to make it look like a book and cut off the handle). With the spare Balin, I would probably convert him into a captain (I love the Dain model and I see him as irreplaceable). That's just me, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, if you have an extra that you are just tired of converting and can't trade, make it into a statue. Put it up on a pedestal (either make one or we have found wedding-cake pillars impressive and affordable), paint him up like stone and weather him. Maybe even care/paint some cracks or damage.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Statues.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You could use him for durin because of his axe...

Quote:
as it makes sense to buy Balin's Guard as you upgrade one to a Balin model for a pound
In germany its even cheaper. Here you get 8 guards for their actual price and Balin for about 2,7 £. But still i don't know why you would want x balin models...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever: Think I must've explaine dmyself poorly, sorry. I HAVE spare Balin's and was coming up with ideas for using them :D I like the idea about Floi, but thought I may as well use a model that I already have to hand ;)

Beowulf: As ever, insightful to me :D I have no idea as to why I hadn't thought of that, lol :D Thank you :D

Hellfury: Thanks. I'd rather not have multiples of the same statue (at least not one worth so much - a statue of a king, but repeated and in just one pose? Seems a little odd :D ).

Azrael: I was thinking that myself. Any thoughts on how to make him look different to my other Balin (beyond a paint job, a simple helmet greenstuffed on and the removal of the throwing axes)? The set I'm referring to gets you 8 Khazad for their price with a bonus Balin model for a pound, but I don't want multiples of Balin - just by buying that box, I get exactly one company of Khazad Guard and then I have things to do with the Balin model, be that convert, statue-ise, convert, convert, trade or sell.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
spuds4ever: Think I must've explaine dmyself poorly, sorry. I HAVE spare Balin's and was coming up with ideas for using them :D I like the idea about Floi, but thought I may as well use a model that I already have to hand ;)

Urr... you do realise I was trying to give a tip on how to use your Balin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, it seems that I forgot that Dain Ironfoot was included in a bunch of Dwarfs that I just won and received on/from eBay. Now, I have a Balin, a spare Balin and am soon to receive a third Balin, lol :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Convert them into King's Champions (WotR)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

give them to me :twisted: :wink:

Or you could convert one in Thorin oakenshield.
or another dwarf hero without an official mini.
There's a lot of inspiration in the hobbit.

If you do so, please make an article for the supplement :pray:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elssar: VERY good idea and I REALLY do not understand why I didn't think of that one :D I already have one King's Champion for now and want to expand the basic army, but there's no harm in being prepared. Any thoughts on how to make him a bit more different? Create a shield is my first thought and maybe a helm, any other ideas?

aqan: For sale outside of the website (to comply to forum rules) or in a legitimate trade, I certainly would :D I love the idea of converting him into Thorin and co :D Pretty much the idea that I'd had above in terms of a conversion (making sure that the crown still showed with the helm to make it a war-crown or royal helm or something). I will try to make a decent tutorial for the supplement regardless of my choice so that you have something (since I wanted to help). If you look at my blogs (got a thread here for them), then you can look at my Dwarf stuff and see if there's anything you want better pictures of (such as my current King's Champion).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
General Elssar: VERY good idea and I REALLY do not understand why I didn't think of that one :D I already have one King's Champion for now and want to expand the basic army, but there's no harm in being prepared. Any thoughts on how to make him a bit more different? Create a shield is my first thought and maybe a helm, any other ideas?

I would put him on top of a pile of Goblin/Orc bodies and weapons on a 40mm base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You could make a whole diorama on that actually, if you had the figs. Balin, with some Moria Expeditionares just smashing goblins apart and maybe a cave troll looming behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I could always combine the pair of those ideas to have him represent the command upgrades (shieldbearer, captain and banner) and have the combat stuff happening as a diorama on the bases or something...

Not explained well, but it's given me an interesting thought, lol.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In our local club our key Dwarf player did a Kings Champion for our Tale of Gamers. I can't remember what he used as the base model but he did some good custom work on it and then put it on a monster-size base that he did as a dio with some Goblins. Very cool 8) I was trying to find a pic on our club forum, but no luck. I'll ask him if he has one next week.

I think the Kings Champion this one of those great opportunities for really working on the display of a figure. Usually when you have a figure on a base that size it's a monster-size Troll or Ent and, though you can do some things, you're limited by the model itself. Here you have a small figure wit a lot of room for creativity.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Balin extras...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

or simply use GreenStuff and convert him into another KG.
You can extend the cheek-plates around to enclose his face, top the crown off to the KG helm top.
As for the cloak you can snip-it and use greenstuff to "fold" it back to his back, or foward to his right knee, or even compress it to his side (3 separate poses) as for his arm you can saw it and reattach it in multiple positions (even fold the finger down to form a fist).
The decor on Balin, his metal edgings on his robe and the makings on his axe, just file em off.

-Iron