All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:31 am

Post subject: Fortunes & Fates: which do you use?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find that locally F&Fs are rarely used; they just don't seem to be part of normal army selection.
Personally I always try and make sure I've got points for an untainted Palantir if at all possible :)
And if not, then I will always make sure I take a persistent effect rather than an intervention.

What about you guys? Do you use F&Fs? If so, which ones?
 Post subject: Re: Fortunes & Fates: which do you use?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I hardly use them at all, most of them are so overpriced.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have used:

Blessing of Galadrial - great when you roll a 5 or 6
Counterspell - does what it says
Desperate Heroics - the range limit makes this too tricky to be reliable IMO
Inner Glory - a game winner
Ancient Lore - this one depends on what your opponent takes, plus I keep forgetting to use it each turn! Floi Stonehand has this built in too.

Tormented Steeds - very useful, especially on units with Prowler
Balefire Arrows - also good
Black Hearted Tree - ambushers will fear you, as long as the table terrain is right
Curse of Morgoth - you think you can handle the fear? you can't handle the fear!

I've had others not listed here used by my opponents, but the ones above are all I've used, plus a couple from the Battlehosts book.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I primarily use Counterspell of Strenght of the Mereas (Rohan specific) which grants +1S to a Rohan Cav. formation.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Watcher in the Shadows is great when using spirits and even when you're not, it's very good for its points
Blessing of Galadriel
Desperate Heroics
Tokens of Terror

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think some are excellent, but almost all of them are overpriced. I also think most are redundant and some are pathetic at best (Athelas at 150pts to have the Hero in question just be Black Darted or Heroic Dueled to death instantly?).

Some seem like they're great, but ultimately aren't: The Galadhrim Bows (or whatever they're called), give you +1 Shoot. At best, that will give you an extra 9 shots, but that's purely if all of the companies can see. Ultimately, it's a waste.

I think the ones in the Battlehosts book are much better, especially the Dwarf ones, but you have to take a Battlehost, which can be inconvenient and, with Dwarfs, often redudant (Why would I pay 75pts for a single Hero to be able to have +1 to Will of Iron rolls, when the Elves get a battlehost where they ALL get it?!?). My girlfriend and I are considering allowing the Battlehost ones to be used if the army is made PURELY from that selection, regardless of Battlehost. It's not overpowered because you then don't have access to Saruman, for example, but it also means that we aren't forced to take a Battlehost that is of no use to us (Thranduil's Halls isn't much use without any forests and, since we're still trying to find somewhere to have a table, let alone terrain, it means we have no forests).

However, I like Steeds of Pureblood (but it should be 35-50pts, definitely NOT 100), Hero of the Hour (drop to 50pts though. Probably not quite worth that much either...), Mithril Coat, The Blessing of Galadriel (about right in terms of points, IMO), Ancient Lore (combined with Floi Stonehand), the concept of Cursed Armour of Udun (although fairly redundant because to affect all attacks against you, it would need to be +2), Evil Reputation (although fairly useless in Evil armies because so many of their Heroes already cause Terror that you may as well take one of them instead), Tormented Steeds (half the cost would be more appropriate), Balefire Arrows (mostly if the unit is large and/or you know your opponent will have more than two or three ents), Tokens of Terror (although you could stick a Ringwraith in for an extra 100pts, but it's cheap and effective!) and a large number of the Battlehosts ones.

Having said that, I would almost always have extra companies over the Fortunes because they cost FAR too much to be considered worthwhile (Going back to Galadhrim Longbows: 50pts for +1 shoot. An extra company of bow armed elves is 50pts and gives you one shot more than the absolute maximum that this can provide, as well as more bodies to soak up damage and more attacks in close combat!), but some of the Fates are worth taking because they are closer to being the correct values (although usually still more expensive than their basic troops, but that's not a problem because of how cheap their troops are).

Anyway, that's my comments, lol. Sorry for the huge block of writing :P
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i agree with general elessar they are rarelly used and over priced. however im sure a few of you know i play with dwarfs and hobbits and the bane rules like orcbane are abit pricey(100) but with my hobbits it can really help against those pesky orcs :-X simarly used in the right place troll bane(if ure against trolls that is) is use full especially if you put it on some hardy dwarfs like the vault wardons so overall i would say that the banes and blessing of gladriel are the best for their points :frodo: :sam: :merry: :pippin:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i use desperate heroics a few times,
get someone like gil galad or boromirwho has lots of might and use it all
then use 1 might from a captain or cheap hero to bring the might level up again

ancient lore can be useful against armies like angmar which have lots of ghosts
stopping spirit grasp could save a good few warriors of rohan or minas tirith 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
I think some are excellent, but almost all of them are overpriced. I also think most are redundant and some are pathetic at best (Athelas at 150pts to have the Hero in question just be Black Darted or Heroic Dueled to death instantly?).

Some seem like they're great, but ultimately aren't: The Galadhrim Bows (or whatever they're called), give you +1 Shoot. At best, that will give you an extra 9 shots, but that's purely if all of the companies can see. Ultimately, it's a waste.

I am in complete agreement with you. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the concept of them, of course, but the pricing is too much and the application of some isn't very decent.

Another pet-peeve is that you can get Orc and Troll banes for Fortunes, but the only bane that you can get as a Fate is Dwarfbane! I may be a Dwarf player, but surely Manbane is of more use to an Evil side because of the number of men available (Fallen Realms, Rohan, Gondor and Angmar: that's three of 9.5 [Forgotten Kingdoms is made of allies, hence the 9.5 instead of 9 or 10, lol :D ] that are made entirely of men!). Maybe it should be available as a Bane and then you can choose from Man, Dwarf, Elf, Spirit for Fates and Orc, Goblin, Troll, Spirit for Fortunes (I don't say Uruk-bane because they are a newly created race...).

Still, hosue rules allow for those changes :D
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
I like the concept of them, of course, but the pricing is too much and the application of some isn't very decent.

I like the concept too. They could have been much better if GW had varied the prices a bit more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have yet to use either a fortune or a fate. The single one I could see myself using on its own merits is 'Desperate Heroics' with Boromir. Some of the Battlehosts ones are better, so if I was fielding a Battlehost, that might change.

Since the basic troops of my Angmar army are 30pts ea, it is possible that I may have 25pts left in the list and nothing too attractive to spend it on - and I think 'the curse of Morgoth' would at least be worthwhile compared to alternative uses of the points.

I think however that GW (Matt Ward?) envisaged a very different game than a lot of us play when they designed it.

Part of it is the points totals - I think Fortunes and Fates make more sense over the 2000pt mark, which is what I understand to be typical of Warhammer games. Connected to that is how they have handled formations/upgrades. While we have the choice, 50pts for a Captain, 35pts for a banner etc do not make a great deal of sense for most formations. I sometimes wonder if they had seen this game where you started off with a formation, included these types of things as a default, and then additional companies were more like an upgrade for additional points. This would sort of be like Legendary Formations are now.

If this was a game where we were all taking formations with all their upgrades in there (so less basic troops as a proportion of lists) and were playing aat over 2000pts, some of those Fortunes/Fates start to seem a little less absurd. I know that a 75pt ofrtune wouldn't look all that bad if I was actually blowing 70pts for a pair of banners on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting theory Xelee; the typical GW army lists do certainly seem a bit strange.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i use inner glory quite a lot. with elves it can be really useful, especially against monsters or charging cavalry.