All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:19 am

Post subject: Varying Mighty Blows & Resilience avoidance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Both Boromir & Lurtz have Mighty Blow special ability, yet they appear to differ slightly.

Lurtz's version allow all hits by his COMPANY to score a casualty regardless of foes resilience, yet Boromirs only states "his" blows suggesting, as far as I can see, it is only of any use to him in a duel situation.
Is this a slip? Should Boromirs COMPANY also get this benefit as per Lurtz's version?

Also where it takes about causing a casualty regardless of foes resistance, I can see this being very effect against cavalry, yet it also appear doubly lethal to monstesr. Is that the intent? One single "hit" ignoring Resilience, and the monster is dead, with no roll on the Hard to Kill tables?
This kind of resilience 'avoidance' is also applicable to Court of Fallen Kings (Barrow Wights)

My interpretation would be (concerning hits against monsters) that for Mighty Blow and CoFK's abilities, the resilience is treated as "1", and each single 'hit' would still be a roll on hard to kill tables.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Varying Mighty Blows & Resilience avoidance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:20 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think they are supposed to be different. Boromir specializes in duels whilst lurtz in rank and file. Yes, it would effectively be treating the enemy as having reselience 1. It's not worded very well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Remember, causing a Hit (technically Resiliancy 1) does NOT mean an automatic kill or avoiding the H2K table. It just means every Hit you score gives you an automatic die. So against an R2 model you don't have to worry about getting one H2K roll per two Hits, but instead get one per Hit. So you would still effectively get it killed a lot faster (like Legolas's Crippling Shot rule and I've used that to take out Mumuk and Balrog pretty quick). Of course, you have to get up close and personal with these rules. :-D

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, the hard to kill and R reducing rules are badly worded, but you roll on the HtK table for each hit.

The Mighty Blow discrepancy is harder. Personally I think Boromir's is worded wrong because otherwise those two rules would be called by different names, the way Aragorn's Mighty Hero rule is similar but different to Touched by Destiny. If we accept that 2 rules with the same name are supposed to be the same, then it is just a question of which of the two versions makes the most sense in the context of the rest of the game, and that is Lurtz's version.

That said, A very strict RAW reading would say they are different and If I had an opponent who really wanted to nerf his Boromir like that I wouldn't argue with him about it too much.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Scott, the majority of the players out there treat it as an ability that works for Boromir, not his troops. So it is a duelling ability and your interpretation about resiliance and the table is the one generally followed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

cool thanks