All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: Mordor or Morannon Orcs; which do you prefer?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I'm writing a list for my new Mordor army, and it's always a tough decsion; take Mordor or Morannon Orcs, or both? I've played a dozen or so games, mostly with my Isengard army, and want to give Mordor a whirl.

In a 1500 point force, I'm going to have a troll, 2 formations of 4 coys of Morgul Knights to strike from the flanks, 2 formations of 2 siege bows for cover fire, a hammer unit of Black Guard W/Gothmog in the centre of the force (powerful, and I love the models) and the B.G.'s are flanked by...500 points of infantry. But which type, I'm not sure! I will include The Dark Marshall (Makes Morgul Knights common) and Khamul (Uh...he's Khamul...) in these two formations (that's half the points taken care of), but it's tough to know which breed of Orc to take. I really like the higher D of the Morannons, but having 2 handed weapons with The Mordor guys is very tempting. This would make them D 3 though; not very sturdy at all! On the other hand, I'd likely have a few points left over for tasty, tasty upgrades.

Which breed do people favour? Is the swarming mass of Mordor Orcs preferable to the more elite and sturdy Morannons? Is there little overall difference in effectiveness? Or is one clearly better value for points, and an obvious first-place choice?
 Post subject: Re: Mordor or Morannon Orcs; which do you prefer?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Given what else you have, I'd take the Morranans, with Shields, in fours.

Orcs w 2HW, in large colums incl Nazgul/Ruin caster and buffed with Spells aren't bad either though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just had a thought! It seems like there is an instance when Mordor Orcs are superior to Morannon Orcs, and it's a theory I shall test whith this army. And it's down to one word; your favorite ringwraith and mine, Khamul! Here's why; with Khamul, the damage a block of infantry can take is reduced by roughly 1/3, so the Modor Orcs low D isn't so much of a problem. In fact, it can be a boon! If you want to use Khamul's 'damage ping-pong' ability, in some ways it's BETTER to take more damage, since it gets ladeled out onto the enemy! The more harm he causes to you, the more harm he may cause to himself. This is especially true when you can have lots of ablative wounds, as is the case in uber-cheap Mordor Orcs. Now the idea of beckoning kills tp your own team, even in this case, is perhaps something people would contest, but you have to admit, it's meniacal, and very much in tune with what an evil general leading a Mordor Army would do, so I'm going to go for it!
I also intend to chuck in 2-handed weapons. It boosts the cost of everything by 1/4, but it makes these grovelling minions suddenly become a threat to a lot more stuff on the table. I'll just be sure to juggle stuff so I can still take a very big formation of the conniving underlings to accompany Khamul. I also intend to use Wings of Darkness to get the Orcs into play ASAP, and Strength from corruption, with the bonus from the 2H weapons could make them actually really dangerous.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yep, that is quite a common way to do it. A local Mordor layer does it that way.... for all the good it did that unit last time we played!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LOL! Well, there's always a way to deal with that 'killer combo' I guess! What did you do? I may actually juggle a few things. I'm likley going to be playing a lot of Angmar (yeah, wierd I know), so perhaps I need to look at my force organisation, and ensure I have plenty of banners and Taskmasters dotted about. Really wanna take that Black Guard Unit though...great models, and I love the idea of having at least one 'You want some? Bring it!' type tough-guy unit.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I prefer the regular Orcs mostly because they are the easiest to acquire used along with WoMT. Plus the Orcs can be used in more factions (Mordor,Isengard,Angmar). They are not overpowered and generally in friendly games are quite welcomed.