All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:53 am

Post subject: Why can't pikes fight in deeper formations?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am new to WOTR, but having played a few games with Uruks, and being a historical gamer mainly, I am bumbed that Pikes cannot fight in deeper ranks.

What good is deep formations in the game, all they provide is a +1 support.

Does anyone play where pikes can fight in deeper formations? As a house rule I am inclined to say that Uruks can fight at least 2 bases deep, maybe 3.

Any ideas?

Brian
 Post subject: Re: Why can't pikes fight in deeper formations?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Brian, I actually think this is a very good idea - though Easterlings w Pike and Shield might become ungodly. At the moment, you can get 2HW for the same cost, which works in all directions, only requires one coy depths and doubles lethality in many cases as well. So I think having Pike, which is more restricted but doubles the hits in a wider range of circumstances, is a nice change.

I am going to think on the Easterlings issue (I think there are no issues balance wise with doing this for Uruks and would not allow it for Axemen of Lossarnach) but am definitely going to add it to my houserules list. Uruks w Pike are currently the 'red headed stepchild' of that list!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would think that this should be extended to all pike-armed units; Dol Amroth Men-at-arms, Uruk phalanx, vault wardens, and easterlings

If we use the term Phalanx, like the Uruk name suggests, I invision somethink like Alexander's Phalanx. The pikes overhead would be waved back-and-forth, which makes it difficult for arrows to get through. Maybe some protection because of this?

Brian
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Definitely all Pike units - Though Easterlings are going to be killer troops! I would just exlcude the Axemen of Lossarnach, basically.

You could try that idea with the arrows, but the real issue is crossbowmen (twice as lethal!) and I don't know that the same rationale would hold holc vs them?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

With regards to the crossbows, I would penalize their shot just like any other bow.

Also regarding the crossbows, I think they should be able to move and fire if they are loaded.

Perhaps you can begin the game in loaded state and then being able to move and fire. The next fire may only be done if the unit remians stationary. If it does then it may fire again, or if it remains stationary and does not fire, it can be considered to have been relaoded, allowing the unit to move and fire once again.

Brian
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

perhaps the loss of a charge bonus already reflects this somewhat? especially against cavalry.

I would think it would make them too tough

dont get my wrong, my favorite army is Isengard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:42 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was discussing this with the manager of a local GW store. What about only allowing the pikes to fight double ranks if they are defending (which ideally is what pikes are good for)?

In pike vs pike situations neither side gets a bonus

Brian