All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:08 am

Post subject: WotR, huge things in small lists
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all,

to some I say, happy to be back, to others I say, glad you're here now as well.
It has been a while since I last went diving headfirst in the fantastic LotR universe, but here I am again.
(Malifaux has been absorbing a massive amount of attention I could spare, and I still would rank that the best game I've ever played)

I used to play only Good (with a great preference for elves), so thought, what better way to reenter LotR with my first finecast model, and went all out, Sauron, TDL now rests proudly in my backlog.

In very short term there will be a doubles trouble league, stretching across the 3 main systems of GW, and each player would get 625 points.

Now I am wondering, at these rather limited points, how do the Uber formations do? (Uberformations: Nine are Abroad, Sauron, Fellowship, White Council, Council of Wizardry, heroes like Gil Galad, Elendil, Necromancer,...).

For such huge units tend to be unbalanced at low point games in a lot of systems, whether over or underpowered, and I am not familiar enough with WotR to be sure wether it still would be a fun game.

Post subject: Re: WotR, huge things in small lists
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Whereever you are big list or small, epic monster types like Glorfindel, Sauron, and the Necromancer tend to be squishy. a few hits and some might on the hard to kill table and theya re gone..

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
 Post subject: Re: WotR, huge things in small lists
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, I would say the Hard and Very Hard to Kill monsters are too fragile to make it in a small point game.

Even the Extremely HtK can be a little iffy. A couple Strength from Corruptions and even a Dragon can be reeling. The Stone Giant or Mumak might be OK to take at that level since they are cheaper and their loss won't completely cripple you.

As for the big legendary formations, I have only seen the Fellowship and the Wizard's Council played. Unless your event is ignoring the decree of allies you can't take either of them since they are Forgotten Kingdoms but those two at least seem VERY durable. Casting Blessing of the Valar every turn to heal their casualties, I focused an entire 2000 point army on the fellowship in one game and still couldn't manage to kill it.

Overall I try to avoid the big cost things in small lists. It just feels cheesy to me and in the case of WotR, I doubt it would be as effective as one would hope.