All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:06 am

Post subject: Epic Duel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does Aragon always roll 2 dice in a duel? If say Dain called out Aragon into a duel does Aragon then roll 2 dice or would he only get the 2 dice if Aragon called Dain out in a duel?
 Post subject: Re: Epic Duel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Aragorn only gets 2 dice if he called it. Erkenbrand and Eowyn ALWAYS roll 2 dice because of their special rules in heroic duels, and I assume that it would be the same for Epic Duels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes Aragon would only roll 2 dice if he called the duel, to give an example, if The kings Champion Dueled Aragon the Kings champion would roll 2 dice with Aragon rolling 1 and vise a verser
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

However I'm sure either ForgottenLore or Gothmogthewearwolf will clear that question up.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Don't you mean that if GtW or I get involved it will just confuse the issue? :shock:

Anyway, as the others have said, for Aragorn to get 2 dice he has to be the one that called Epic Duel.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thankyou everyone. Myself and DocDeath were debating this and thanx to all you guys I have won that debate!!! Told you DocDeath haha
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry guys you'll have to explain this to me what's the difference between aragorn Erkenbrand and Eowyn , they both say in a heroic duel they must roll 2 dice rather than 1 and use the highest result?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Because he must call Epic duel and he haven't he's just been called out in a duel. The others state thay MUST roll 2 dice
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Erkenbrand and Eowyn have special abilities that say they roll 2 dice in heroic duels. These are not Epic actions that need to be called or anything, they are just "always on", whenever one of them is in a Heroic Duel their special ability applies.

Aragorn has an Epic action "Epic Duel". Epic actions must be activated by the hero by spending a point of might. Epic Duel says it works just like a heroic duel except that Aragorn rolls 2 dice. The rules for an epic action only apply when the hero triggers it so Aragorn only gets his 2 dice when fighting the Epic Duel that he himself has called.

Interesting corner case. Erkenbrand and Eowyn's abilities say they get 2 dice for Heroic Duels, but don't mention Epic Duels, but Epic Duels work just like Heroic Duels, so do Erkenbrand and Eowyn get 2 dice if Aragorn calls an Epic Duel vs them?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh forgottonlore why does your reasoning have to be so incontrovertible !! . You've really upset me , yet another reason why I'm starting to think aragorn is over priced , boromir surely is a better choice .
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ForgottenLore wrote:
Interesting corner case. Erkenbrand and Eowyn's abilities say they get 2 dice for Heroic Duels, but don't mention Epic Duels, but Epic Duels work just like Heroic Duels, so do Erkenbrand and Eowyn get 2 dice if Aragorn calls an Epic Duel vs them?

I think we are back to our 'default setting' on this one, it works like a heroic duel in all respects except the change for the caller so how is this in question?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Speaking purely in the realm of a theoretical exercise in game rule theory, I could see an argument made that calling a duel actively triggers special abilities that relate to duels and since Epic Duel is just like Heroic Duel it will trigger the same things, in which case their special ability works; or, their special abilities are constantly checking the game state to see if they are involved in a heroic duel, in which case the fact that Epic Duel works just like Heroic Duel is irrelevant because even though they work the same they are, in fact, different abilities.

Again, it is a pretty much entirely academic question of interest only to those with a fascination in game design, in practical terms I couldn't care less and would be fine with whatever way my opponent said it worked.

Anyone who read the first paragraph of this post and went, "Huh?" or "Who Cares?" should probably ignore the entire thing.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ForgottenLore have you been compling that response for the last 3 hours and like me made good use of the thesaurus ? :D I must say very effectual
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think it is even a game design issue - I haven't yet read a ruleset that entirely closes off the potential for these types of wonderings. So, since they always occur, it is the practices of those reading the rules that become quite important.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Xelee wrote:
I haven't yet read a ruleset that entirely closes off the potential for these types of wonderings.

True, neither have I, but some rules do a better job than others and it is by thinking about and analyzing these types of things that we can better learn how to avoid "grey areas" in our own rules design.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:yay:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

ForgottenLore wrote:
Xelee wrote:
I haven't yet read a ruleset that entirely closes off the potential for these types of wonderings.

True, neither have I, but some rules do a better job than others and it is by thinking about and analyzing these types of things that we can better learn how to avoid "grey areas" in our own rules design.

Yes of course but potential (and lets use 'potential' in a very loose fashion just to raise the odds!) rules designers are far from the majority audience on a thread. So in addition to your wonderings, you are also going to see "just to make that more concrete."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:31 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would just say Eowyn and Erkenbrands rules work for Epic Duels if the players agree on it. I would say that they should.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ForgottenLore wrote:
Don't you mean that if GtW or I get involved it will just confuse the issue? :shock:

lol

Anyway, I agree with you FL

I'll put it this way; If Aragorn calls an Epic against someone, then he rolls two dice. If a hero calls a heroic duel against him, Aragorn rolls only one dice, even if he has also called an epic Duel, because the two dice rule only works for his own dules, not a dueal called by another hero.