All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:18 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alright, its time for a long overdue update. Uni has basically kept me from painting, so unfortunately my enthusiasm to spend a few hours had diminished. I still have exams next week (bleargh...damn statistics), but I figured that I could still use some of my breaks to just to small portions of mini's.

Now, remember that second beserker I was painting? Well, I thought I had finished him after I did all that flesh, but uh...I forgot to do all the leather areas. So, here he is based..but not complete.

I've also been chugging away at those uruk-hai scouts. I'm really running out of originality here with the colours unfortunately, I just cant think of any other colours that the Uruks could use aside from highlighted scorched brown, highlighted snakebite, or highlighted chaos black. I also decided to repaint one of the earlier WoMT that I had painted when I had started in the hobby. If you want to see the original incredibly bad paint job, just visit Gondor vs Isengard: To the Death! to see some of the originals.

This last one is of the next two I'll be hitting up, another ranger of gondor and another uruk scout. I think I'll try and finish off my tiny backlog before I buy anything more :roll:

Thanks for looking!
John
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The skin tone for the berserker is grand keep up the good work!

KoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The last berserker is very nice.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I agree. the skin on Berserker looks great, keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm on holidays! Whilst you guys may be grumbling about how this profits you; it truth it means that I get to go back to the painting/hobby side of things as I have a whole 3 months to burn(aside from work of course) to get my hobbying back on the roll.

It's been hmmm, almost 5 months since I last updated my WiP log, and during that time, I've managed to survive the first year of uni, get a decent job that keeps the money coming in every week (much to the chargrin of my parents, seeing as now I can spend money on anything I want :P ) and splurged some money on an SM army which I'll be painting up during the holidays as well.(For more info on the SM army, go see my thread)

So to start off (as I just spied a half done ranger which I'm rather interested in completing :P) I'll be doing my all time favourite scuplt, the armoured Woodies! I'm planning on making a 1000point army based on some sort of elf alliegence, just so I can get all the cool character models.

[center]Image[/center]
I have to admit, they are simple the most amazing lotr scuplts that GW has produced, and every time I paint one, I rarely lose enthusiasm for it.

As a OT little spoiler, I managed to fiiinallly get good pictures of my rangers, and I'm pretty sure my old OR Comp entry lost out a little because of the terrible lighting it had...it looks much better now :lol:
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
I think that first picture of the two needs a bit of improving...but what the hey...till the next update!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Smooth mate!

Great minis, painted clean, very definied. I can't wait to see your ver. of Haldir's Elves.

What did you use for background? i looks really nice.

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

looks great!
keep it up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Haldir_sfan: The background is just a simple blue gradient which was printed out. Just print it out on an A4 sheet and get snapping :) Such as the following:
[center]Image[/center]

Hey ho, yet another update!(Maybe these day to day updates might actually work :lol: ) I've progressed on the cloak, which is easily one of the more fiddley bits(seeing as I have to repetitively mix colours as I dont get the whole thing covered with one paint mix up...might need to add more water :P

[center]Image[/center]

Just a few more highlights to go, although I'm stuck wondering what are some good armour recipes for the Galadhrim. I really like the GW scheme, but I dont have all the colours for it..so are there any alternative gold schemes which look good?

I also managed to get that ranger done..not too happy with the face though...oh well, theres always the next mini!
[center]Image[/center]
sorry about the pics of the ranger, I really struggled attempting to take some good ones, and these ones where the best I could get atm. The cloak especially seems to have suffered, so the final pics I take should give him some justice.

Till next time!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey all, it's update time! I wasn't able to make any progress most of last week because of Muse and some pretty bad procrastination, and work. However, yesterday after an 8 hour shift(bleargh) I mosied my way up to my GW and obtained another blister of Armoured Elves.

On the painting side of things, I've managed to complete the scalemail, and I'm beginning the first stages of the armour now. Shouldn't be too long before its all finished.
[center]Image[/center]

As you can see, I've purposely left out the highlighting on the cloth regions and most of the straps, just because it can get a little messy when basecoating the armour :lol:

5 more of these fellas to do after this one, but before I get to it again, its off to the gym!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think your painting is top notch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Painting is really nice, the skin on the bezerker looks really nice, only one real grumbly is the moldline running along the thigh of the ranger shooting bow in the group picture :wink:

www.theangelosprojects.moonfruit.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@Torulethemall: Haha yeah yeah I know :lol: I'm getting better at locating mould lines and getting rid of them now. Earlier I just left them on because I had a larger desire to paint and game :P But I know better now.
@TB: Thanks mate :) Keep the feedback coming in!

Small update today; just because I've been concentrating on some W40k stuff. I managed to pick out all the leather areas, and the handle of the Elven Blade. I've also done a little bit more highlighting to the armour, and I'm almost done with the hair...this guy is taking longer than I expected

[center]Image[/center]

Next up is the blade, his boots and finally the base.
Till the next update!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yet another update!

With the advent of the Toowoomba tourney which I've decided to enter, I've made an army list, and now it means its me against time to get all these elves done! I now have to complete another 5 Galadhrim, 9 Plastic Woodelves, Aragorn(a repaint) and Haldir. So with my work cut out for me, I decided to jump the gun on the Galadhrim and do a bit of 'speed painting'. They're still around the same quality as the other elves...its just this time I'll spend more time cleaning up the cloak and face; places which have been affected by the highlighting and drybrushing on the armour.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]

And finally, my old Aragorn from the HoTW boxset. I got this about...err...2 years ago? When Return of the King was first released. He was one of the first characters I had ever painted; but now I'm going to attempt to do him some justice with a new flash-bang paint job :)

[center]Image[/center]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well due to work on saturday and some terrible procrastination I mixed up times for the toowoomba tourney and realized that there was absolutely no way that I was going to make it. I was completely and utterly devestated. I had spent the week lovingly painting my armoured swordsmen and eventually let the late nights get the better of me :(

That being said, I managed to find out that I could paint a decent standard wood elf in about 30 mins :| More on that soon.

Even with the prospect of my first tournament being denied to me, i managed to get a friend of mine into the game :) I let him play Rohan against my(completely painted...for once :|)Uruk-hai Army. I managed a minor victory, but could've easily lost it as he only needed 2 more casualties to break me and the last 2 combats were against a rider, and Eomer :shock: luckily I held and scraped through(We were playing a modified version of Ill Met by Moonlight, where the first person to break the other obtained victory). In fact, I managed to get him so into it, he wanted to go into GW tomorrow and play on the full terrain boards.

So all in all, not a bad day!

For the pics of the completed minis, they'll be coming later this evening as my camera died just as I began uploading. I managed to get some natural light into the pics as well...even though over here in brisbane its STINKING hot.

EDIT - WiP's and the completed elves now up!

Galadhrim - As you can see I still had to paint one more of them

Wood Elf Warriors - They may look finished(the ones that are painted of course), but they're still all in WiP. On Friday night I desperately tried to batch paint my way through some of them. I think I managed about 30mins on each...Never again!

Haldir in his undercoated glory. I'll turn some proper attention when I finish basing off some of the other armies I have.

And remember those beserkers and Uruk Scouts I did aggesss ago? Well I've finally finished enough of them to field a 300(303 on paper due to the 2 orcs) point Legion of the WH force (Lurtz counts as an Uruk Captain w. Shield).

Last edited by Haldir_Strikes on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

Love the Beserker and the Rangers...they look magnificient !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey Haldir_Strikes, sorry to hear about your tournament troubles. Just remember, there's always next time! :)

Your work is really good and your Uruks are looking suitably mean, just the way I like them; The White Hand is pleased. :twisted: I'd enjoy seeing some close ups.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I love the uruk-hai,lurtz especially looks great!Also the elves look good.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Those are some fantastic looking models!
Great job! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Those are some great miniatures! Keep up the good work.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey guys! Another update, except this one is more on the gaming side as I've been basing my Rohan army and haven't made any progress on the Elves as of yet.

Today me and my mate went into the GW and played 'Clash of Piquets' with my Uruk and Elf armies. Suffice to say, I won another minor victory (he learns fast) and probably would've lost except for a few tactical slip ups he made during the game(such as running his Uruks across 24 inches of open ground, where my archers shot at them with a relentless barrage of arrows).

I also attempted to use the advantage of the woods to my advantage. Unfortunately I underestimated the damage that an Uruk Captain and 3 beserkers could do, and I watched my right flank crumble as my Galadhrim began to get cut down to a man in CC. I think I managed about 3 casualties through CC overall during the whole game :? That might need to be looked at. Elven archery once again lived up to its name with one archer having to pass 3 in the way tests and THEN roll a 6 in order to wound the Uruk captain. Goes to show that I can roll a hella lot of 6's :lol:

Anyways, onto the pictures! I really liked the gameboard at the Brisbane GW, really nice, and they had those plastic trees as well. They didn't look great on the computer screen but they are actually raelly nice in person and I'm thinking in investing in at least one of the kits for them.

John
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next