All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:31 pm

Post subject: 2000 point Rohirrim
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

First attempt at writing a rohan list. Mainly cavalry but I'll explain more at the bottom.

Epic Heroes: 215

1 Theoden, King of Rohan 125
1 Eomer, Marshall of the Riddlemark 90

Legendary Formations: 985

1 The King's Guard 375
6 Companies, Gamling with Royal Standard Bearer, Hama
1 Grimbold's Helmingas 295
6 Companies, Grimbold, Banner, Hornblower
1 Erkenbrad's Riders 315
6 Companies, Erkenbrad

Rare Formations: 0

Common Formations: 790

Oathsworn Bowmen 95
3 Companies, Banner
Oathsworn Milita 165
4 Companies, Captain, Banner
1 Riders of Rohan Eored 265
6 Companies, Captain, Banner
1 Riders of Rohan Eored 265
6 Companies, Captain, Banner

Tactics:

Grimbold's Helmingas will be in the centre of the board in the nearest cover (If there is cover in the centre of the board), using the hornblower to get there quicker, with support from the four companies of Oathsworn Milita. The Arches will hang back on high ground.

Eomer will go in the first six companies of Riders and join Erkenbrad's on the right flank. They will move forward whilst Theoden in the Kings Guard with support from the other Riders will go on the left flank and go forward.

Once the enemy is in the centre of the board, The Kings Guard and Rider Squad #2 will sweep round the left, Erkenbrad's Riders and Rider Squad #1 will sweep round the right and surrond the enemy, crushing them.

I will use might points from the captains (or Epic Heroes) to crush any monsters and maybe call Heroric Charges.

Last edited by Phalnax on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Get more infantry. They are the cheapest way to counteract magic. Screen your cavalry with the large blocks of cheap 'Oathsworn' and wait until you win priority and then go second. Move the infantry out of the way and CHARGE!

Stephen
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What should I drop for them?

I'm thinking of taking out the Sons of Eorl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You could downgrade your legendary foot formation to a baseline one. The sons of Eorl are pretty small at the moment, so you should either make them larger or drop them.

Just IMO, but rather than Captains and those legendaries, I think you need to be looking to have at least one really big unit of either Riders, or preferably knights. Theoden has a formation wide ability to spread fight and has Epic Charge. You can add terror to that via Deorwine. Rohan is a force that needs to screen (as Boromir of Ipswitch points out) then unleash the hero combos on a Cav charge with heroic fight to either do it to two units or wipe a big one.

The side that charges gets an advantage in terms of spreading your frontage, so you can bank on having at least four companies to the front. 32 attacks on the charge, assuming opponent fight 3, then 16 more for Theoden and the Epic Charge. Normal riders hit def 7 on 6's, Royal Knights hit on 5s, twice as many. If terror works (that fortune might be worthwhile), then it's 28 more, rather than 16 more, You should win the fight, so that happens twice. So likely best case 32+28+ supports. Ten kills vs def 6/7 (doubled) or 20 kills (doubled) vs def 4/5. You are going to have to do it over multiple turns so need numbers in your hammer units.

I tink you need to be thinking more in terms of a hammer that can hit and kill from the front, since at 2000 pts you likely will not find your enemy exposing flanks to advance, rather just presenting pikes/poleaxes/shieldwalls/bow to screen flanks. Your local area may not field so many troops as there are in the armies around here though.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

as Xelee said, I'd drop the 'Sons of Eorl' (and at around £64 for 4 companies that's pretty easy, unless you have already forked out the cash).

That 265 can be spent on 9 companies of Oathsworn Militia plus a captain and a hornblower - and still leave you 20 points spare. The downside is that it will cost around £50 and take a while to paint - unless you invest in a spray-gun and use the techniques in this month's WD.

I digress.

That 9 companies can be the focus for the enemy's spell-casters - let him cast all he likes at this massive block it's only purpose is to stand there and take it until you get priority.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah, I'm gonna drop the Sons of Eorl for 9 comps of Oathsworn Milita. I'll do the calculations later and get back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry for Double Posting, but version two is about to be posted.