Minas Tirith Warriors, four companies - 100pts
Minas Tirith Archers, two companies - 60pts
Minas Tirith Knights, four companies, shields, banner bearer - 155pts
Rangers of Gondor, three companies - 90pts

Total - 995pts
Might - 13
Formations - 6
Companies - 21

Yesterday I played a 1000pts WotR game with my brother, and I came up with this list. First I decided I'd take some Osgiliath Veterans, and then it all sort of worked out, producing this list which I am really pleased with. It's got a great theme and good heroes, as well a decent quantity and quality of formations. Any advice on how to improve it? I'd like some magic but if it's possible to do without destroying the theme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Woah! I didn't know you had so many OV :shock: . I don't think that OVs or KoMT are in Ithilien army list. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I think you have a tad too many archers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:
Woah! I didn't know you had so many OV :shock: . I don't think that OVs or KoMT are in Ithilien army list. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I think you have a tad too many archers.

I don't have any Osgiliath Veterans, I was just using Warriors of Minas Tirith.

The Ithilien army list does have Osgiliath Veterans (but not Knights of Minas Tirith), but this is WotR. The Ithilien army list has nothing to do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I feel that the Knights of Minas Tirith aren't as fitting as infanry for an Osgiliath army (particularly since it's fighting in streets and ruins and rubble), so replace them for infantry, IMO.

You can replace them with four companies of warriors and two more of archers (using up your full points allowance).

Also, how are the Osgiliath Veterans 225 points? (I haven't the book to hand, btw.)

If you wanted magic without breaking theme, take Radagast/Gandalf/Elven Wizard and have the model and rules represent someone else. Such as Thranduil to represent an excellent archer or a Gondorian Battlemage stationed there or something?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the suggestions Hashut's Blessing, I'll try a few more games and tell you how it works out. In the mean time, I'll try to find some more information about Osgiliath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There's a battlehost called "The Garrison of Osgiliath" that might come in handy. ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Azrothan wrote:
There's a battlehost called "The Garrison of Osgiliath" that might come in handy. ;)

I suspected their might be an Osgiliath battlehost. How much do you know about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Everything. I've got the book right in front of me. :)
Requires Boromir, Osgiliath Veterans and Minas Tirith Warriors, then you have optional Rangers of Gondor and Citadel Guards.
The number of formations, points and special rules I don't think I'm allowed to assist you with?

You've basically got what you need, but you need to cut back a few points to pay for the battlehost. Not always worth it though, it depends on what you're fighting and the terrain you're using. ;)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Azrothan wrote:
Everything. I've got the book right in front of me. :)
Requires Boromir, Osgiliath Veterans and Minas Tirith Warriors, then you have optional Rangers of Gondor and Citadel Guards.
The number of formations, points and special rules I don't think I'm allowed to assist you with?

You've basically got what you need, but you need to cut back a few points to pay for the battlehost. Not always worth it though, it depends on what you're fighting and the terrain you're using. ;)

Not sure if this is the appropriate place, but, is their a grey company battlehost?

@ OP Good Looking list; are you running Boromir with the cavalry or warriors?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You could ask in the battlehosts topic...
There is one that contains The Grey Company called "The Return of The King" (featuring Aragon, among a few other heroes). 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

thelordcal wrote:
@ OP Good Looking list; are you running Boromir with the cavalry or warriors?

I plan on using Boromir with the Knights, though because they've got a banner the Knights should be ok should I have to move Boromir to another formation.

Azrothan wrote:
Everything. I've got the book right in front of me.

How come you've got the book already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How can you transfer Boromir if he's on a horse to an infantry formation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

simply replace him with foot model. rulebook, the box on pg. 68

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:
How can you transfer Boromir if he's on a horse to an infantry formation?

Like MuslimRohirrim said. In WotR a hero can change from any formation (as long it's not a monster), infantry or cavalry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just scanning over Boromir's rules right now i can definitly see him wrecking in CC. Do you tend to play more aggresively or defensively? If its the first i highly recommend uping the overall amount of knights in your army. It adds some harder hammers to the army as well as an additional place to deploy Boromir to leave your opponent guessing which unit he'll be traveling with at the start of the game.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

thelordcal wrote:
Just scanning over Boromir's rules right now i can definitly see him wrecking in CC. Do you tend to play more aggresively or defensively? If its the first i highly recommend uping the overall amount of knights in your army. It adds some harder hammers to the army as well as an additional place to deploy Boromir to leave your opponent guessing which unit he'll be traveling with at the start of the game.

I don't really know whether I play aggresively or defensively. I guess I'll be playing defensively, though I'll take any chance I get to exploit opponent's weaknesses.

Good point about my opponent not knowing where Boromir is going to be deployed. But I'm don't think I need more Knights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
Azrothan wrote:

I have no idea. I guess my local store missed the release date. It even had models for sale as well. :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Azrothan wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
Azrothan wrote:

I have no idea. I guess my local store missed the release date. It even had models for sale as well. :-D

Lol, when did they start selling them? :rofl:

You could probably sell some on Ebay for a profit... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

General Elessar wrote:
Azrothan wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
Azrothan wrote:

Lol, when did they start selling them? :rofl:

You could probably sell some on Ebay for a profit... :twisted:

I'm not sure. I went in on Monday, saw the Morgul Knights, proceeded to look for the book and bought it. Not a clue it wasn't supposed to be out yet, cause I wasn't sure I was going to pick it up.

I live in Sweden, so selling on Ebay now probably means it'll arrive the same day as in stores. :P

I was wondering why there was so little chatter about the different battlehosts on the wotr forum. :P

TBH I'm not really sold on the Isengard battlehosts, as I'd like to include trolls - which means I need to pick common choices anyhow. And the bonuses for most bhs aren't that impressive imo.
Though, just as with legendary companies, some are really worthwhile. Like the ones that include a lot of rare choices - like Wolfbane's Warriors (if you want to build a Dunland army) or the Uruk-hai Siege Warriors - or those that have great bonuses like The Return of The King.

I don't really play wotr, just collect and plan isengard armies, so I probably don't even understand the pure awsomeness in most cases. :)

Sorry for the thread hijack. :oops:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It has been brought to my attention that most players believe that the price for Legendary Formations does not include the first company. I now agree with them, but when I planned this army I counted on the cost for my Osgiliath Veterans including the first company. So, now I'm 30pts over; what should I lose? The ideas I've had are: a company of Osgiliath Veterans, a company of Knights, the banner from the Knights, or a company of Rangers.

If I wished to extend this army to 1500pts, would it be more thematical to include Gandalf the Grey or Saruman?