All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:29 pm

Post subject: Dwarf Army - 2000 pts
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Leader
Dáin Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain (4 Mights)

Epic Hero
Flói Stonehand, Loremaster of Moria (2 Mights)
Ragadast the Brown (3 Mights)

Fortunes
Blessing of Galadriel (+D3 Mights)
Desperate Heroics (Refill Mights on 1 Hero within 12" at cost of all Mights user)

Common Formations
Ent
Great Eagle (1 Might)
Dwarf Warrior Kinband [5 Companies, Two Handed Weapons]

Rare Formations
King's Champion (2 Mights)
Vault Warden Kinband [3 Companies]
Dwarf Ballistae [2 Companies]

Legendary Formations
Múrin's Guard [4 Companies] (3 Mights)
Drár's Hunters [3 Companies] (3 Mights)

For a Grand Total of 1990 Pts & 18 +D3 Mights + Desperate Heroics
I know I should drop Murin's for normal Warriors with Shields + Balin, but I want my Murin and Drar duo present! O:

Blessing grants Dain D3 extra might to Start the game, and when someone uses Desperate Heroics on him, he goes back to full, so he'll be using Counsel early on to grant extra mights around, Floi and Radagast can give him back some mights and then the other fortune when I'm depleted.

Plenty of Mights to go around for all of 'em :D
I find it curious that I could use my Eagle's point of Might to call a Desperate Heroics...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The first point to note is that you can only have 1 Fortune/Fate in the first 2,000 points and then an extra one for every thousand points after that, so you'll have to drop one, I'm afraid.

Secondly, I can't remember the points costs, but make sure that Radagast, the Ent and the Eagle come to a total of 500 points or less, otherwise you have to downgrade/remove one.

As to the composition: Legendary Formations look fine to me, but you need to reduce the number of Monsters, otherwise you will be eaten alive. I would say to keep the Great Eagle for its flying and speed, so drop either the King's Champion or the Ent, possibly both.

With those spare points, consider getting some more bodies on the board, preferably core formations. I wouldn't bother with dwarf acrhers, but either kind of warriors (as a new formation) or more rangers with bows should help a lot.

looking good, but those are the changes that I would make.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:20 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

We play 2000 pts with 2 fortunes, since our lists usually go just a bit above 2000 pts anyway. But I just realised we might be playing 2500 anyway x;

As for the allies, yeah its under 500 pts (;
I'll see how my games go before dropping anything, adjusting like you said if I went too monster heavy.. guess itll depend on my enemies O: One has a mumak + 2 chariots, the other a Nazgul and another monster, if I can get more games against other players (we're not that many yet) I might start altering my list.

I guess expanding to 2500 and 3000 pts will be pure bodies, maybe another hero. Plus a battlehost option will force me to have more common formations too.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think Eagles are an ok ally but just don't see Ents and Dwarves working together that well. If you can pick up another Eagle model (or proxy in something cheaper...there are some eagle/hawk toys at many science / museum stores that work well) then it would look better and probably even function better. Having 2-3 Eagles to cross the board with swoop attacks on enemy archers or other soft targets will help your force out I believe.

Also, Gandalf is probably a more themed Wizard but I can't really think of any reason one of the others wouldn't work. I'm guessing you have Radagast for his 'prevent charge' but generally Dwarves aren't as soft as other forces and Gandalf's Epic Renewal can keep your toughest Heroes using Might while his Blinding Light can weaken your foes and give your good Fight value a significant boost. And Gandalf was pretty directly involved with Dwarf afairs through his books.

So if you have the models I'd suggest drop the Ent, Champion and Desperate Heroics. Put all that to as many Companies of Dwarf Warriors with shields as you can. Keep your two Legendary Formations as they add flavor for you and you want to play both. One Eagle and one Wizard should be your only other "extras". Otherwise focus on Common and Rare Dwarf Formations.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I say keep the champion. He is proving more and more worthwhile every game I play.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I also contemplated giving my King's Champion " Hero of the Hour " Fortune to make him F9 and C7 (Inspiring Hero for Dwarves). But at 75 pts its a bit too expensive haha.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't know if the ent is nescesarry as you already have the eagle and a king's champion. I'd swap the ent for a 3 company formation of dwarf warriors and then perhaps even up the companies of dwarves.