All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:29 am

Post subject: Elven Glaives
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know a lot of Elf players don't like the current benefits from glaives, the plus one Fight. I have an alternative idea: how about glaives double the Fight bonuses a formation gets. This would make them more powerful against formations with low Fight, but useless against formations with high Fight, which (in my opinion) makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is interesting but would need some serious play testing. It sounds like it might actually be more powerful than you may be expecting.

Personally, I think to give the Glaives a +1 Str with out a Fight penalty (to recognize that they are move advanced than typical 2H weapons) would have been best. The Str vs. typical heavy armor "defense creep" that's been going around is the Elves greatest weakness I think.

And if for some reason dropping the Fight penalty proved "too good" then just make it where the player has the option at the beginning of each Fight to decide if they want +1Fight or +1 Str/-1Fight. That would make them unique and special in the game and give a normal balanced option.

Back in SBG I gave Elf Blades to pretty much all my WEs that didn't have bows and never regretted the points. In WotR's current system I just don't think they're worth it to get just one extra die per Company unless you have left over points and no other upgrade to spend it on.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Elven Glaives
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

General Elessar wrote:
I know a lot of Elf players don't like the current benefits from glaives, the plus one Fight. I have an alternative idea: how about glaives double the Fight bonuses a formation gets. This would make them more powerful against formations with low Fight, but useless against formations with high Fight, which (in my opinion) makes sense.

So a unit with glaives and Gil-Galad gets a +4 to the fight result? That type of bonus?

Or do you mean a unit with glaives with a fight value of 6 versus a unit with a fight value of 3 gets +6 dice instead of +3?

I dont think either way is very fair at all, especially if the unit they charge failed their terror check and now have a fight value of 0. +12 dice per company fighting directly (21 D6 per tray?!?) is a BIT over the top, IMO. They are already damned good when they get into combat.

If they didn't have terror it wouldn't be so bad and I would likely agree it could be a good change. But for the points they cost, I think the proposal is unbalanced.
 Post subject: Re: Elven Glaives
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hellfury wrote:

Or do you mean a unit with glaives with a fight value of 6 versus a unit with a fight value of 3 gets +6 dice instead of +3?

That's what I meant. On reflection, it probably would be too powerful (especially with Heroes). I like Beowulf03809's idea though.