All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

looking good as always. i just love the purple robes :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ShadowMaster26 wrote:
The fist doesn't even have to kill to make an impact, it just has to knock a bunch of guys down. The main CC weakness of Dwarves is no spears. If you can knock a spear/pikewall down, then you can absolutely slaughter them in melee with Khazad and Iron Guard. The no throwing axe isn't to much of a price to pay anyway, it's worth 5 points, and you get a auto-Sorcerous Blast (Gandalf the Grey needs a 5+!) if you win the fight. Plus you have an extra wound and with D8, that is worth a lot. It would help a bit if you dropped the wounds to 2 and brought the fate to 2.

After crunching the numbers yesterday I've decided that I'm WAY better off just going with Durin's Axe. Here are the results for a strength 4 dwarf fighting against a goblin with shield (defense 5). 1 on 1 being obvious, 1 on 2 is the standard fighting goblins, when 1 dwarf faces a goblin with spear support. 2 on 2 with both is Balin with Durin's Axe. 1 on 2 plain would be Etako on current rules.

1 on 1 to win to kill to double kill
plain 58% 19% 0%
with reroll 75% 25% 0%
with bonus to wound 58% 29% 0%
with both 75% 38% 0%

1 on 2
plain 42% 14% 0%
with reroll 61% 20% 0%
with bonus to wound 42% 21% 0%
with both 61% 31% 0%
2 on 2
plain 61% 34% 7%
with reroll 72% 40% 8%
with bonus to wound 61% 46% 15%
with both 72% 54% 18%

So Etako using the fist special rule would be usually having a 42% chance to hit, with a 14% chance to end up killing a goblin with shield. Balin with Durin's axe would be having a 72% chance to hit with a 54% chance of killing! Way better odds, particularly when you factor in, say, ten rounds of combat. You've got Balin slaying far more gobbos. And that's before you put in the odd throwing axe kill as well.

Even for fun and flavour I can't see myself dropping his combat abilities that much just to whack some guys into the air.

As for the wounds, I hadn't played with forces other than goblins before and thought it odd to give him the same number of wounds as a goblin, but having read through the book it really does seem that the three wound guys are really signature characters, so I think I'll leave him with Balin's stats, but, as you suggest, swap the throwing axes for a point of fate.

Disappointing though, I'd love to have some special rule for him, but I'm not going to gimp him through the floor for it! Perhaps something along the lines of just knocking guys down rather than back, except that it's kinda useless against one wound guys anyhow. Hmm. Back to the drawing board I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Almost finished my Iron Guard, and have started work on my Gimli replacement. WIP shots and the backstory of Brynmor Deepminer are on the blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looking good. The shovel looks a bit silly, but the Iron Guard look awesome! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great iron guard and i really liked the back story for Brynmor Deepminer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Blog has possibly too many photos on it, here are a couple...

Also on the blog are more photos of the finished Khazad and Iron Guards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great as always. Brynmor looks really cool
by the way are you going to make a battle report for the match you wrote about on the blog? :pray:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:shock:
Wow!

(2 minutes later, after recovering from awesomeness overload)

Brynmor looks awesome! The shovel doesn't look silly any more!
:yay: Good Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That shovel looks great! Nice sculpting! I love the paint job on the helmet too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Vault Wardens, just in time for the game today...

Pics from all angles on the blog. I'm particularly pleased with how the celtic design on the front came up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You've done a very good job. The additions to the captain are a little too large in my opinion but you've painted him very well. I would suggest you thin down your paints a little more when painting chain mail as all of the ones I've seen are a little blotchy. Compared to the rest of the minis the metal areas are a little flat as well. Using a few more shades of metallics would make them a lot better.
I love your free hand. The vault warden's shield looks very good, the weathering is great. Could you post a picture of the front of the shield?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome! The Celtic Rune adds a very personal touch.

Post subject: Good work
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I looked through your links to your battle report. Good work. :yay:
I liked your table lay out. The rock formations you made look nice in your close up photos. However, on your table lay out they are very effective. I will have to make some like yours for my lay outs.

My brother always fusses about my cave set ups because he thinks mine are monotone. I added a little color by adding some dark gray and red oxide pumice or cinder chink. You can find it in garden centers. If you dry brush some with yellows and orange like you did your lava flows you could add some more difficult terrain and some more color as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I loved the battle report on your blog! Nice painting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

nice painting, however if i were you I would redo the base of the captain with shovel because the blobs of gravel ofer the rims look odd.

Keep the updates comming 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow! :shock:

i really love that blue rune on that shieldbearer!
good job!

-The silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien, first line-
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As lovely as ever and excellent work on the Vault Wardens! Just to let you know, you have inspired me to create my own blogs! One for my own Dwarves and one for my Easterlings. I wish I could update them as often as you do yours, but I doubt it'll happen, but it's certainly inspiring me (and making me jealous ;) ).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, the blog has more pics and me waffling on for a bit, but here's my 982 point army as it now stands:

And sure it stands waist high to some of the other armies, but it's full of solid defence! (I've always preferred turtle strategies in games!)

Any suggestions for the last 20 points to get to 1000 points gratefully accepted (some ideas are on the blog post).

Thanks for all your support and encouragement!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nicely painted, i just love those runes on vault defenders shields. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks abso-sodding-lutely excellent ^^ Definitely spurring me on to complete my own and get a proper table (except I don't have the space, lol).

For the last 18 points, 2 warriors with bows makes it exactly 1,000 points. Just see if you can pilfer/proxy/steal/buy a couple/trade for them.

I'm glad to see that you may expand it into a War of the Ring army.

To answer your heroes question, I would say that a lot of people will think no, but having those extra bodies gives you advantages (higher number of models to kill before breaking, which is great because they're so hard to kill :D Also, you are less likely to be outnumbered and could be doing the outnumbering end-game. You can also swamp enemy heroes to drag them down with more attacks than them and a high enough strength to kill them/defence to survive them.). I feel that sometimes Might is a little overrated: I see it more as a booster to help, not something to centre and plan your whole force around (if an opportunity arises, take it. But don't try to force it to come up, basically). Plus, you still get your commander points ;)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next