All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:30 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For a house rule you may be fine doing that, but it won't be allowed in anything official and most players would not be too keen playing with such a modification in place.

Before the "everyone has a 1H weapon available unless the Profile specifically says otherwise" rule came around, Elf Blades were special in that they allowed the player to elect if it was a 1H or 2H weapon for that turn. But now they're really no different than most other 2H weapons in the game in that the player has an option.

I would agree that Elves, being what they are in Tolkien's world, should have some "extras" beyond just a higher Fight value but in the scope of GWs rules that's what you get. You can have the Spear/Shield OR you can have an Elf Blade, but not both.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ncea wrote:
Quote:
Why would you add 2 Wood elves to Thranduil's hall army list instead of just one?

I dont think heros count towards the bow limit. They might but im not sure :?

I think they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
For a house rule you may be fine doing that, but it won't be allowed in anything official and most players would not be too keen playing with such a modification in place.

Before the "everyone has a 1H weapon available unless the Profile specifically says otherwise" rule came around, Elf Blades were special in that they allowed the player to elect if it was a 1H or 2H weapon for that turn. But now they're really no different than most other 2H weapons in the game in that the player has an option.

I would agree that Elves, being what they are in Tolkien's world, should have some "extras" beyond just a higher Fight value but in the scope of GWs rules that's what you get. You can have the Spear/Shield OR you can have an Elf Blade, but not both.

How recent is this rule change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Mor-galad of Greenwood wrote:
Rumil carries a elven blade and a shield. Is he the only model who can use the two together?

The Galadhrim warrior includes the elven blade so you don't "pay" extra for the elven blade but it does include the shield in the items that you are permitted to add to the base profile.

That's because the Elven blade can be used as a hand weapon. Rumil still can't use it two-handed though.

Quote:
Furthermore, in the spirit of the game, a weapon that is as perfectly balanced as the elven blade, wielded by an expert could easily be used effectively along with a shield. When he's using it as a two-handed weapon, the shield could be on his back and would not add to his defense.

The rules specifically state you can't, so how is going against the rules "in the spirit of the game". Just the opposite, I'd think. The rule is there for balance. Maybe it would be "in the spirit of Tolkien", but that's something else entirely, and he never mentioned Elven blades at all.

Quote:
I would argue that b/c the elven blade can be used as a regular hand weapon, the warrior ought to be able to use a shield with it.

Maybe I wasn't clear: you CAN use an Elven blade with a shield, you just can't use it two-handed.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:00 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ncea wrote:
I dont think heros count towards the bow limit. They might but im not sure :?

I think they do.

They don't.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
They don't.

Ok then i'm right :)

Edit: did you realise that we all posted 2mins after each other?

Last edited by ncea on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you're using the One Ring book (or the MoM book), you have the latest.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:13 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:

If you're using the One Ring book (or the MoM book), you have the latest.

I have it.
But I don't have LOME.
And it says that you cannot use your an blade as a 2-H weapon at all if the model carries (and gains a defense point from) a shield?

Okay fine. I can still use my 10 models as a shield wall... for spears... and pikes.

But Hero models do not count toward your bow limit?!? But Hero bows count toward your total number of bows. How does this work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heroes don't count for or against model count when figuring your 33%. Only warriors. Though they don't hurt your percentage, Heroes can't help keep your number down either. When figuring your bow limit for a force just don't bother counting any Heroes is the easy rule.

So you can have 10 Elves with bows, and 20 Elves with Blade/Spear/etc. That's 1/3. Then you can pack in Thranduil, Haldir, Legolas and three Captains all with bows if you want (and have the points). 8)

Also, remember if you're mixing Galadrhim, Rivendell, Mirkwood or any combo of the above, the 33% rule is per force. You can't use 20 Galadrhim to compensate for 10 Mirkwood Elves w/ bows (I know Galadhrim can have WEs as well, this is just an example to make the point).

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Heroes don't count for or against model count when figuring your 33%. Only warriors. Though they don't hurt your percentage, Heroes can't help keep your number down either. When figuring your bow limit for a force just don't bother counting any Heroes is the easy rule.

So you can have 10 Elves with bows, and 20 Elves with Blade/Spear/etc. That's 1/3. Then you can pack in Thranduil, Haldir, Legolas and three Captains all with bows if you want (and have the points). 8)

Also, remember if you're mixing Galadrhim, Rivendell, Mirkwood or any combo of the above, the 33% rule is per force. You can't use 20 Galadrhim to compensate for 10 Mirkwood Elves w/ bows (I know Galadhrim can have WEs as well, this is just an example to make the point).

:-X
and I just cut the bow off a WE captain and put a spear on him instead because i was sick of always have to stay under the bow limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

seeing as we cant agree on the elven blade thing, just as your friends if they are ok having the shields 'on there back'.....

if they still dont like it then you could add in a small rule:
if an elf with an EB and a shield decides to use his EB 2h, then he puts his shield away and wields the blade 2h for 2 turns

this is obviously a drawback, and would balance it if your opponent thought it was a bit cheating...

and i thought of the 2 turns thing as the shields are huge and it could be time consuming to put it on/off....

just a thought :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Shadowswarm wrote:
seeing as we cant agree on the elven blade thing, just as your friends if they are ok having the shields 'on there back'.....

Can't agree? It's on page 44...