All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:19 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've now played a few games with this army, and it has been very succesful. I'm not convinced if the Osgiliath Veterans are worth their points though. I'm pondering whether or not to swap them for some more cavalry (the cavalry I've got have been really effective) and another cheap Epic Hero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think the Osgiliath Vets are the best use of the points. They are probably worth their points in that they add useful abilities for the cost and are a good 'jack of all trades' unit to put in an army when you are starting out. However, the unit costs 260pts for the four coy and you can have for ex four coy of warriors and another 4 coy of archers, with captain for 270pts.

If it was more Cavalry you swapped for, while keeping the units cheap, your force would actually end up being pretty similar to the types of Ithilein armies I have been pushing around.

I tend to think that a cheap spellcaster is a very good idea (one Isengard gunline with Saruman in particular has been causing me grief) and I'd suggest that Radagast is by far the best option. Ignore the people obsessed with 'Epic Tranquility' (though it will be useful sometimes), Radagast's real benifit is the decent spellcasting (including vs crossbow units, Gondor's bane) combined with special abilities that greaty improveone unit's mobility.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
I feel that the Knights of Minas Tirith aren't as fitting as infanry for an Osgiliath army (particularly since it's fighting in streets and ruins and rubble), so replace them for infantry, IMO.

You can justify having cavalry because in the movie, once osgiliath is overrun, all the WoMT and rangers and stuff quickly mount horses and race towards the gates of minas tirith.

Ever thought about taking an eagle or two? Eagles are thematic in practically any army.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd like to include a spellcaster, like Xelee said, but it wouldn't really fit my Osgiliath theme. Neither would an Eagle, Thorin & Co.

So, how about swapping the Osgiliath Veterans for another four companies of Minas Tirith Knights with a banner, another Ranger company, and Erkenbrand. I know Erkenbrand doesn't fit the theme at all, but I really like his rules so I've made up a character, called Thaladan (Sindarin for stalwart/steadfast man), who will have exactly the same rules and points cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've done a little bit more tweaking, how's this?

Epic Heroes:
Boromir
Faramir
Erkenbrand (allied)

Common:
Minas Tirith Warriors, four companies
Minas Tirith Warriors, four companies
Minas Tirith Archers, two companies
Minas Tirith Archers, two companies
Minas Tirith Knights, three companies, banner
Minas Tirith Knights, three companies, banner
Rangers, three companies

1000pts, 13 Might, 7 Formations, 21 Companies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar,

I wouldn't go below four for Minas Tirith Cav and tend to find that five is a more useful minimum. You have got what I'd consider to be 70 not especcially well used points (it is pretty much three coy) in those banners. No banners and one unit of three archers would get you the cav in fives. Just a thought.

Cav can work in threes, but are a bit of a one-shot wonder. You aren't hitting as hard as you should for early charges (I consider frontage four or five on early game charges to be a possibilty) and you aren't going to find yourself unwilling to risk an Epic to take them over vs certain matchups, which is a bit of a loss of flexibility.

I think you have the right idea with having two cav units though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I haven't tried five companies for the Knights, I normally use four but for three seemed to fit in well with this army. I disagree about the banner though, I've found it very useful. Anyways, I'll try your suggestion and tell you how it works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
I haven't tried five companies for the Knights, I normally use four but for three seemed to fit in well with this army. I disagree about the banner though, I've found it very useful. Anyways, I'll try your suggestion and tell you how it works out.

I'll be playing that army probably today anyway. :twisted: