All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 1:23 pm

Post subject: Epic Stories of Epic Journeys
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Greetings, all.

I wanted to ask the community if they can share any real-life experience using, or playing against, Aragorn's Epic Journey rule. None of our current WotR forces use him so I haven't anything really to go on. It's one of those rules that looks like it could be extremely useful in the right situation, but the potential Might cost is pretty high.

Even with his free point per turn it seems to have any sort of viable force go with him you're going to spend at least one, if not two, of his personal Might in addition to the free one. If you have Gandalf with him, for example, then you can get some of that back (and it would probably be pretty handy to have him where you're going anyway), but as a normal tactic is Epic Journey something that is used regularly and effectively?

Again, I'm mostly looking for real-world experience on this point. I can think of many theoreticals or "if-then" situations where it would be a game-winner, but as the saying goes "no plan survives contact with the enemy". :-)

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've used Aragorn in about 1/2 of my armies and used EJ once. Once I put a six coy unit of archers in a list as a potential EJ unit, as well as the three coy unit of troops I usually reserve for the job, just in case.

An issue for me is that I am generally not a fan of the legendaries, but they obviously are the best candidates. The spellcaster is a good option to do it with.

The one time I did it was to drop a unit of Grey Company directly behind some artillery and archers on a hill. He had deployed so that his other troops would have to come back to cover and my own forces could potentially then catch up and take them in the rear. I blew the extra might point from Halbarad to soften the archers with bowfire for a turn, and then the Grey Company were able to handle both units in the melee next turn.

I see it as something nice to have, and worth planning for in your list but I wouldn't use it all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've fielded Aragorn twice, both times in a formation of the Grey Company (three companies strong), and I used Epic Journey both times. Both times I used it pretty early on, in the first turn or two. It worked pretty well, and also improved the Grey Company's vitality, in my opinion their only weakness. I also, of course, benefited from having Inspiring Leader (Master) with unlimited range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I use Aragorn in a formation of 4 Grey Company. The Epic Journey is really useful to get them out of harmsway or to irritate your opponent.
You wait and watch as that large Warg formation bears down on your flank and then disappear as soon as they get close enough to be threatening. Very satisfying!
Also very good for disrupting enemy war engines/archer formations!