All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:32 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Right, so I have changed it around, I have decided to scratch haldir, he causes too many debates, plus i want something more fun. Plus thematically this one is perfect as its just galadriel's guard.

Galadriel, Scary 125
Rumil-70
5 Guard of the Galadhrim Court -60
5 Galadhrim Warrior with Elven Blade - 45
10 Galadhrim Warrior with Shield and Spear -100
10 Galadhrim Warrior with Spear and Elf Bow -100

500 points, 32 units, 10 bows, 6 Might

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Noddwyr wrote:
@Beowulf, I am excited to see your conversions and I agree extra bits would be really useful in terms of customizing you army, and I wish GW included some. Though I suppose it would take some of the fun out of converting.

Sorry it's taken a little while. 60+ hour work week can really cut into what's important :rofl: Anyway...

Here's a pic of two WE with blades that were converted to spears. I selected these models and added the spears because the sculpts were wearing knives at their waist and I decided that could represent Throwing Daggers (not to mention give a little more variety to the army):

These three were bowmen. The two on the sides had their bow replaced with a donated spear and one got a minor arm move to alter his pose. All Daggers you see started life as swords for Numenoreans in the Last Alliance box set. Since I have so many other armies I really want to do, I have little use for these figs otherwise (some of them have also joined the ranks of my Dol Guldur Ghostly Legions 8) ). Even so, it's still way too expensive of an option for mass conversions, but I just couldn't pull off a home made dagger that made me happy enough (these were done for Games Day and I really wanted them to look sharp). I did a full hand swap for most, clipped the sword down pretty far then just used a hobby knife to finish the job.

I personally love taking the time to convert my models for variety and WYSIWYG, but GW's lack of support in this area really makes it a PITA. :P But looking out now over an army of about 140 Wood Elves, with only one pose for a Captain, three Sentinels, and just a few poses for each Warrior type it would really be nice to have more options without having to spend excessive time or money to do so. :(

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Very nice, thanks for the ideas!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They look great. I like the idea of adding variety to the army, since you really only get a few poses, most of which arent that exciting. Thanks for the pics and the ideas.
No comments on the new army list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
No,
Haldir's rule is 5 points - his armour is another 5.
(Haldir with nothing is 70 points. Haldir with a bow, able to use his two shot ability, is 75 points - thus his ability is 5 points. Haldir with armour? another 5 points, but this has nothing to do with his two shots.)

ok then if you think about it that way then his rule isnt 5 points his bow is 5 points.Also have you actually compared the two haldirs together cause all your showing me is how much normal haldir costs and I know his armour has nothing to do with his two shots. but dude seriously look at this.

What would you rather have?

Haldir-bow,armour 80

or

Haldir,deffenders of helms deep 70
Galadrhim warrior - elf bow 10

Do you see my point now?????
Ok Lets just say this has nothing to do with how much haldir's rule costs cause i seriously don't care.How about another?

Haldir 70

or

Haldir, deffender of helms deep 70

Normal haldir doesnt have a bow or armour so haldir,deffender of helms deep technically has 10pts more worth of equipment, thus normal haldirs rule costs 10points and his bow costs 5 points. Do you understand?

Quote:
The lists you provided are practically the same - so you increased the list to 37?
The break point is the same and the list becomes completely unthematic - but - you're right, Haldir gets a special rule.

What I'd do is drop the 5 guys with Throwing Weapons and do this:
Haldir with bow-75
Rumil-70
Guard of the Galadhrim Court x7
Galadhrim Warrior with Elven Blade x9
Galadhrim Warrior with Shield and Spear x8
Galadhrim Warrior with Spear and Elf Bow x11
500 points, 37 units, 11 bows +2 shots, 6 Might

Then all models have at least 4D, one more shot than the last list you posted above and more thematic (at the loss of 5 flimsy Elves with Throwing Weapons). That's just me though...

How is it unthematic? Same person different rules. so what?. I know its only 1 more in numbers but 1 more is better than nothing and Btw this is the third time ive said this but i will say it agian those army lists arent mine!! i just used noddwyr's list and changed 1 thing about it i probally wouldn't even use the wood elves either but im just trying to make my point.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think that the army would be quite fun to use. It's a little hero-heavy but 32 units is still decentish for 500 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I know its a little hero heavy, but with blinding light to protect from some archery damage and 10 bows of my own to shoot with, I think I could survive relatively intact to fight and not be too badly outnumbered.

The only thing is that I could have similar numbers in a Rivendell list where my defense would be 5 or higher, plus the spearmen look cooler, so I am thinking that might be a more fun army to paint and to play with.
Something like:

Monkey Twins w/ Heavy armour 150
10 elf warriors w/h.armour, bow and spear -120
16 elf warriors w/h.armour, shield and spear - 176
5 elf warriors w/h.armour and elf blade - 50

496 points, 33 units, 6 mights

OR:
Galadriel, War Aspect -125
Erestor -75
9 elf warriors w/h.armour, bow and spear -108
17 elf warriors w/h.armour, shield and spear - 187

495 points, 27 units, 4 might

I like the first list better as it has more numbers, but anyway I think this list might be more fun to play and would last longer than the lothlorien list, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ncea wrote:
Quote:
No,
Haldir's rule is 5 points - his armour is another 5.
(Haldir with nothing is 70 points. Haldir with a bow, able to use his two shot ability, is 75 points - thus his ability is 5 points. Haldir with armour? another 5 points, but this has nothing to do with his two shots.)

ok then if you think about it that way then his rule isnt 5 points his bow is 5 points.Also have you actually compared the two haldirs together cause all your showing me is how much normal haldir costs and I know his armour has nothing to do with his two shots.

Haldir can't use his ability without a bow. His bow (which allows him to use his Special Ability) is 5 points – meaning his Special Ability is, effectively, 5 points.

ncea wrote:
but dude seriously look at this.

Haldir-bow,armour 80
or
Haldir,deffenders of helms deep 70
Galadrhim warrior - elf bow 10

Do you see my point now?????
Ok Lets just say this has nothing to do with how much haldir's rule costs cause i seriously don't care.How about another?
Haldir 70
or
Haldir, deffender of helms deep 70

I which would I rather have?
Between those two, I wouldn't take either.
I would take Haldir with his bow (no armor, you keep skimming over the fact that you don't have to take both) this is 75 points – you can use him to his full potential. So for the Defender profile, for 5 points less, you get an ability that will never be used and one which will be used in about 10% of your games (this is if you throw him into combat regularly in the first place, which isn't a very useful thing to do besides – specially if you're already taking someone like Rumil).

I know 5 points left isn't enough to pay for an entire bowman – but, think of it this way: since Haldir added an extra shot, you just paid 5 points – not 10 – for your extra shot.

ncea wrote:
Normal haldir doesnt have a bow or armour so haldir,deffender of helms deep technically has 10pts more worth of equipment, thus normal haldirs rule costs 10points and his bow costs 5 points. Do you understand?

Your argument that Haldir's rule is 10 points because the Defender profile has 10 points more of equipment is an obvious logical fallacy. Apparently you can't seperate the idea of the two Haldirs without adding in armor to the equation - even if we agree that the Defender profile has more or 'this' or 'that' for "less" - it does not follow that certain aspects of other profiles costs more.

I'm not going to even go into "theme" here because that's further and further off topic and has no bearing in any of these army lists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Haldir can't use his ability without a bow. His bow (which allows him to use his Special Ability) is 5 points – meaning his Special Ability is, effectively, 5 points.

Then why does the other haldir have 10pt more of equipment than the normal haldir?

Quote:
I which would I rather have?
Between those two, I wouldn't take either.
I would take Haldir with his bow (no armor, you keep skimming over the fact that you don't have to take both) this is 75 points – you can use him to his full potential. So for the Defender profile, for 5 points less, you get an ability that will never be used and one which will be used in about 10% of your games (this is if you throw him into combat regularly in the first place, which isn't a very useful thing to do besides – specially if you're already taking someone like Rumil).

The reason i only gave you Haldir-bow,armour and Haldir, deffender of helms deep as options is because These are the two types of haldir Noddwyr(the person who needs help) was wondering on what to use. You never said why dont you just use haldir with a bow. Also im pretty sure in one of my previous posts i said "I would only use normal Haldir if i gave him only a bow" So yes i agree with you there. But this is between Haldir-bow,armour and Haldir,deffender of helms deep.

Quote:
Your argument that Haldir's rule is 10 points because the Defender profile has 10 points more of equipment is an obvious logical fallacy. Apparently you can't seperate the idea of the two Haldirs without adding in armor to the equation - even if we agree that the Defender profile has more or 'this' or 'that' for "less" - it does not follow that certain aspects of other profiles costs more

Ok then.... now look at the two haldirs rules? Ok Deffender of helms deep has 1 more def than normal haldir, he also has a bow unlike the normal haldir. He also has a special rule that he can use (even if it is pointless) unlike the normal haldir they both cost the same amount of points. So he gets more stuff for free. Seriously whats so hard to undertsand?

Ok heres another reason why Haldirs rule costs 10 points. Compare a Galadhrim Captain with Haldir. All of there rules are the same except the galadhrim captain has 1 higher def and 1 lower might ok? so lets say 1 point of def is 5points 1 point of might is 5 points. the Galadhrim captain isnt worth any more points than Haldir. Now theres a 10 point difference between Haldir and the Galadhrim Captain... The only left difference is Haldirs special rule so haldirs rule costs "10 points".

Ok i dont know what else to say... if you dont understand what im saying then thats fine by me.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:57 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Comparing named heroes to generics isn't necessarily accurate. Named heroes are usually a better bang-for-buck because you can only take one of them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@ncea,

Noddwyn only posted a list with the “bow Haldir” because I suggested it - the OP wanted suggestions and defined the conversation far outside of the strict "either-or" proposition you offer above.

First you state the normal Haldir is "pointless", then you unleash logical fallacies and this whole time you continually move the parameter of the conversation (ie. “only bow/armor/haldir and the defender profile are to be discussed” when the OP only entered bow-Haldir into the topic because I suggested it in the first place – and the OP asked for such comments, that's the purpose of this thread. I don't know why you think you know more about the thread than the OP).

You said what you wanted to say (I understood everything quite clearly :wink: ) and I said what I wanted to say – I think we should leave it at that to keep this thread from digressing even more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys for your debate, though I agree that it should probably stop :-D
I do appreciate the vigor with which both of have tried to help me, and I have followed your debate with interest however after some consideration, I think I would ally in legolas in order to take Haldir's place and make it less hero heavy than the list with galadriel posted above. I have taken out the wood elves as has been suggested and have come up with a list like this:

1 Legolas -90
1 Rumil - 70
5 Galadhrim w/ elf blade - 45
10 Galadhrim w. spear and shield - 100
11 Galadhrim w/ elf bow and spear - 110
7 Guards of the Galadhrim Court -84

499 points, 34 units, 11 bows+3 shots, 6 might

As legolas still has defense 4 like basic Haldir, but has a better special rule and 1 more point of will, and 2 more points of fate. I as actually debating between legolas and thranduil, and though I have put legolas on this list, I am still not sure.

I could also swap to of the GotGC for a couple of WE spearmen and give legolas armour. Maybe even swap legolas for Gimli?

What does everyone think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think that one is the best so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Noddwyr wrote:
I could also swap to of the GotGC for a couple of WE spearmen and give legolas armour.

List looks great, but I would do that. It will halve his chances of getting wounded by some lucky orc bow.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
Noddwyn only posted a list with the “bow Haldir” because I suggested it - the OP wanted suggestions and defined the conversation far outside of the strict "either-or" proposition you offer above.

All of his army lists had Haldir with armour/bow... I Only new you were talking about Haldir with bow untill like half way through this topic/thread(or whatever) . Im just going to stop posting in this topic/thread.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

thanks guys. I gave legolas armour, hopefully I will get chance to try this list out soon.