All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:34 am

Post subject: another Gondorian amry?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

HI! I'm new to SBG and WOTRs so i though i would post this asking some opinions about my army before i got out and spend 500 bucks on this stuff
WARNING, i am a complete newb to this since i don't have the books yet nor have i played LOTRs. I'm planning one large order consisting of the WoTR book, the battlehost book, all the paints, all the brushes and at least half of my army.

the army list so far:
2 boxes of WoMT
2 boxes of rangers
2 boxes of KoMT
5 blisters of Osgiliath Veterans
3 blisters of Citadel Guard archers
2 blisters of Citadel Guards
2 blisters of warriors of minus Tirith command
1 Gondor avenger bolt thrower
1 Aragorn king of Gondor
1 Faramir and Damrod
1 Cirion and Madril

i have no idea how many points this is, I'm aiming at a 2000 point army, though i don't need to purchase it all, I really just want to confirm that I can field these models together in one army. I've gathered that there are certain restrictions like how many bowmen you can have and something about battle host stuff. I also realize that some of that info you can't post on here which is cool with me, any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Wow, that's a lot of stuff and its going to be expensive!

But you didn't start this topic to hear that, so, here's some information I can give you (keep in mind that I'm not a Adam Troke strategist). O yes, I play SBG so I'm gonna talk about your army from that view.
As you alread wrote, in SBG an army may consist 33% out of archers so that's gonna be a biiig problem if you want to use all those boxes in SBG you will got to have 226 miniatures minimum!
So, what I suggest is to start small: buy the mines of moria set as starter and when you know the beginings you could start your army with a set of WoMT and a command set (and if you really whant to start with more you could add a KoMT box to it), play a few games and paint your troops and build your army on those experiences. It's worth, really!

When you buy lots of troops in one time you'll get what I call a 'Chinese Army', you'll paint it on a so productional way, that one single model is just a piece of your army; you can't even remenber that you've painted it!
And of course it's worth to see your army grow! It's funny to remember how stupid and unknowing I was when I started painting my first goblin.

Anyway, that's a view from just one SBG player, maybe WotR is different because you use lots of models there. But still, I think it's worth to think about.

Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yeah, I saved up quite a bit of money over the last two years, I work hard AND this venture IS approved by my wife.. haha

anyhow, thanks for the input, i know what you mean by the "Chinese" army, that kind of happened when i played 40k 5 years ago. this time I'm much more serious. there is a method to my madness, I'm stationed overseas and cannot purchase this stuff here, especially the books.. and i leave from time to time so i figure i should just get as much as i can (one shot, one kill). I just want to make sure all these different companies and models and be fielded together in my army for WoTR. Games workshop has a start box for gondor with knights, warriors and some rangers but its unavailable right now.. =(

anyways thanks again, maybe i will cut back a box or two, or maybe just drop those citadel guards for now.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Well, if you're talking about the Gondorian Battelhost (like the 40k battleforces), I've got bad news for you: they're never gonna be produced anymore: they're out of order forever!
Maybe you could try to find it on ebay

Sorry
Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

sounds typical.. not to big of a deal though since I plan and just buying the boxes of knights, warriors and rangers, its really not a major show stopper at this point. well i think I'm going to go ahead and order tomorrow, the sooner they all get here the better. i think I am going to take your advice and cut back a little, i know its going to take me forever to paint everything anyhow, especially since i really want to take my time. thanks again, your a gentle man and a scholar good sir!