All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:38 pm

Post subject: 500 point Gondor
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello everybody here at The One Ring, I am new here and this will be my first post.

So ive built a 500 point gondor army that i can play against my cousin (he plays Mordor) and i was just wondering what you all think of it, what should be added, and any comments or criticisms.
Both me and my cousin agreed we are not taking into consideration proper alliances or anything like that (considering i dont own a copy of LoME).

Gondor Army-

Faramir (with bow) - 75 pts

Boromir of Gondor - 105 pts

11 Rangers of Gondor (with bow) - 88 pts

6 Rangers of Gondor (with spear) - 54 pts

10 WoMT (with shield) - 80 pts

3 WoMt (spear and shield) 27 pts

6 Knights of Gondor - 78 pts

36 models (+ 2 heroes), 33% bows, 9 might

Just looking for some feedback on what i should add or remove. Also im trying to theme it on the two brothers fighting off the hordes or mordor so if your feedback can iclude those two it would be much appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi and welcome! Are you using Legions of Middle Earth (LoME) rules? If not, it's a bit hero heavy, but if you keep Boromir protected from shooting and give him an honor guard with spear backup it should do pretty well. Call heroic fights and chew through the minions. Just note that cavalry is best led by a hero to help prevent being counter-charged if you lose priority.

But if you are using LoME rules, what you have isn't legal. If you want to keep the brothers together like that you'll have to choose between Rangers and cavalry. If Faramir is leading the Rangers contingent, to get the knights you need a Tower of Ecthelion hero, like a Captain or Beregond). Or if Faramir is leading the Tower list you need a Ranger hero like Madril or Damrod. Boromir of Gondor is from the Fellowship list, so can't serve this purpose. This means even more heroes and fewer models.

If you stick with the Rangers list, your best bet is to replace the knights with some Osgiliath Vets, as they get a bonus when near Faramir or Boromir.

Hope that helps...
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks for the welcome wagon!
and to answer your question no i am not using LoME, i never really felt the need to buy it when i can spend that money on more miniatures :). btw would LoME be a good investment? Im new to playing the game but ive been in the hobby a couple years now and have a few small to medium sized armies.

But back to the topic. Would it make more sense to drop the 3 WoMT with spears and give Faramir a horse to lead the KoMT? I know it would give me less models but would it pack a harder punch and be able to call heroic actions?
I now im set on taking the two brothers but is it too much too take them in a 500 point game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think both brothers are manageable, you'll just have to play carefully I guess.
Mounting either Boromir or Faramir is a good choice; if you have to follow LOME then perhaps drop the rangers to get citadel guard w/bow and/or spear.
I don't own LOME, as long as you know the rules from there its not necessary IMO.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Kyrrial Deogar wrote:
btw would LoME be a good investment? Im new to playing the game but ive been in the hobby a couple years now and have a few small to medium sized armies.

There are 12 good scenarios in it, more interesting than deathmatches. But the main point of LoME is to provide better army balance and theme and helps prevent power-gaming. The army you've created is a pretty good bang-for-buck compared to most armies at that point level...

Not saying you're a power gamer! :) You're going after the brothers theme which is cool, but the net effect of breaking the LoME rules is getting a better deal.

Quote:
But back to the topic. Would it make more sense to drop the 3 WoMT with spears and give Faramir a horse to lead the KoMT? I know it would give me less models but would it pack a harder punch and be able to call heroic actions?

Technically you don't have to be mounted to lead them, you just have to stay near them. From what I can see, you only have to give up one model and convert the other spears to shields-only to take the horse, so it's worth it IMHO.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great theme and an O.K. (slightly hero-heavy) army.

A horse for Faramir would be great as it gives you a leader for your knights (IMHO mounted groups always need leaders)-if you can wring out some more points for a lance that would be the cherry on the top.

LoME is a good investment in my opinion as you not only get fairly simple ally rules but also the scenarios, which are great at spicing up a game(and helps you understand GT battle reports a lot better).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the tips!
And yes Ill probably pick up a copy of LoME next time i visit my local GW, itll be nice to add some diversity to the scenarios and see some of the themed lists

I dont use my Gondor force that often but i re-watched RotK recently and got hooked on the idea of making a brothers list. Plus I love the look of a gondor shield wall with the tree of gondor fighting back the enemy :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

One caveat about LoME...the point costs and some of the army lists are out of date. If you have the sourcebooks for a region, they are more recent and take precedence. So if you have the Gondor book you already have the lists you need.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
As already said, when you use the brothers its very thematic to have some veterans in your army. I know they're quite expensive, so I converted them from WoMT.

Good luck
Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

would you just use green stuff to add bandages and pouches onto the WoMT? Ive never actually used green stuff before, how easy is it to manipulate and does the final product look good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
Well, I tried to make bandages myself but it was a disaster so I went for the more bloodier ways.
I've got 12, mostly converted by using orc spare weapons and shields (like they've stolen some of their enemies weapons), arrows, arms and legs that heve been cut of, lots of small wounds, broken shields and of course: BLOOD!
When you want some more details about my buthcher practices, just reply (or don't)

Raggbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ohhh the crude way... i like it :twisted:

soo you pretty much just hacked shields and dented their armour to make them seem like theyve been through a battle already? seems easy enough.. i will give it a try thanks for the tips :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Damn :-X , if my camera worked I could show you some pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

damn.. but oh well im sure i can figure it out mayself 8)