They are awesome to field 61%  61%  [ 14 ]
Meh they're ok 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Not good at all 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Osgiliath Veterans
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:33 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all i'm new here to WotR and this forum and i'm enjoying all the advice and info i'm getting :-D but now i need help...see i really like the Osgiliath vets and almost every post i see about them isnt good :sad: so i'm wondering if anyone thinks they're really good and if so in what kinda army they'd work best in and how would they be best used? hope to get some feedback thanks
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The veterans are a solid unit you can build an army around. Good fight, strength and versatile equipment means they are flexible enough to perform different roles on the battlefield as circumstances demand.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

lorelorn wrote:
The veterans are a solid unit you can build an army around. Good fight, strength and versatile equipment means they are flexible enough to perform different roles on the battlefield as circumstances demand.

All good points but they are very expensive points-wise. I don't think they're worth it until you get to 1000pts+ games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

General Elessar wrote:
lorelorn wrote:

All good points but they are very expensive points-wise. I don't think they're worth it until you get to 1000pts+ games.

I'd question if they are ever 'worth it' vs their alternatives. However, they are worth their points IME and have never let me down, so if you are starting out and don't have double the figs to field the unit as 4x Warriors and 4x bow (with a captain for either), which is an alternative, I'd say go for it.

Obviously, they go best in defensible terrain. A ruin makes them def 10 with bows. They do best efficiencywise vs Monsters and are also str 4 for vs def 6 troops when you come accross these. A few games I've had locally were objective based and a unit that can heroic move, heroic shoot and is def 7 is a pretty handy asset in that context.