All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:38 am

Post subject: 1500pts WotR Elven Kingdoms Tournament List
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'll be playing my buddy in a warm up game for an up coming WotR tournament. I'm not sure what hes bringing but obviously I want to be focused on fielding an all comers list. This is my basic list I've been using in the past for 1000pts that has worked well, but I've added Galadriel (to eat points) an eagle and some wood elves. I think the wood elves will be good, but I was thinking of an ent instead of the eagle (just trying it out because I have the model). Thoughts?

War of the Rings: Elven Kingdoms 1500pts

Celeborn 175pts

Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien 175pts

Hardir 75pts

3x Galadhrim Regiment 185pts
-Banner Bearer, Shields

3x Galadhrim Regiment 185pts
-Banner Bearer, Shields

3x Galadhrim Archer Regiment 150pts

3x Wood Elves Regiment 135pts
-Longbows

Eagle 140pts

3x Galadhrim Knight Regiment 250pts
-Knight Captain, Banner Bearer, Horn Blower

1x Fate or Fortune

Total: 1495pts
 Post subject: Re: 1500pts WotR Elven Kingdoms Tournament List
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would drop the banners on the galadhrim on foot and the hornblower on the knights which gives you 90 points to play with + 15 points for swapping the Galadhrim archers for WE ones (which are quite a lot better IMO). With that you can get a couple more companies of Galadhrim knocking them up to a solid 4 C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would drop the banners on the foot regiments, the hornblower on the Knights, and the Fortune. You'll then have 115 spare points. I'd then swap the Wood Elves for their equivalent in Galadhrim (i.e. three companies of Galadhrim archers). Then, with 100 points left, I'd add a company to both of the Galadhrim regiments.

I'd also keep the Eagle rather than swapping it for an Ent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, I never play with Galadhrim archers. The woodelves are better for the shooting: fire can't be returned due to the 12" Enchanted Cloaks. And you don't need that much WE boxes to get the much archers: they start with handweapons and throwing weapons, and you can give them Longbows. So you could put in 4 WE archers in the 4 front rows, and other WE's in the back. This way you can easily get more companies 'without' losing the WYSIWYG.
So I'd say drop the Galadhrim regiment and get another WE regiment if you can (spare 15 points).
I'd also say drop the Banner Bearers on the foot regiments, not really needed (spare 70 points).
I'd stick with the Hornblower on the Knights, I'd like to have that extra inch of movement (or extra 2" when you go 'At the Double'), but I'm no fan of the Captain. I know you probably have only one box of Knights, but I'd say drop the Captain (and get some more companies of Knights) - (spare 50 points).
Also, I don't think I will ever field Haldir, I'd drop that one also, but that is a matter of taste (spare 75 points).

I've never played with the eagle, but I like ents. The ambush from forests is quite entertaining and it will give you something for your opponent to still worry about. This is something you'd need to find out for yourself.

This spares 210 points total. I'd give the Knights another company atleast. Then I might even get Thranduil (I know it is not fluffly), he is 50points more then Haldir but IMHO way better, still has Epic Shot, even has Epic Strike, and knows the Wilderness spells with mastery of 2. This outweighs the Epic Sacrifice (which I deem useless) and the automatic 'At the Double' pass (which Elf doesn't pass the C test..?). Above that he has F7 and R3, thus a great Duelist as well. Together with the 'Touch by Destiny' of Galadriel you can feed Thranduil might for the 'Nature's Wrath' rolls if needed, ensuring you can do quite allot of damage with it.
But that's just my 2 cents on him, a real bargain for 125 points (but not fluffy though.. :P).

Perhaps you have some better ideas yourself what to do with the points, but I'd not get too much upgrades (banners and captains) since the Elves are already quite outnumbered, and by taking Galadriel and Celeborn in the same army you already eat quite allot of points.

Hope you can do something with my 'critiques' :p
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dannis, those are good ideas - wood elves with bows (could just use mixed figs), Thranduil and Ents - with a combat line of Galadrim with Shields and a small unit of Knights- is what I'd be focusing on too.

Overall, this is a list crying out for more troops, so I'd be taking more of them and less upgrades/fortunes. Stacked Epic Defense only takes you so far. For the number of units you have - Thranduil, Celeborn and Galadriel can pretty much command everything, though an Elven Captain in one of the foot units (never the Cav) might be ok.

The Wood Elves could screen the rest of the army...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dannis gives good advice.
@General Elessar, that's exactly what I said :-D

The captain may not be necessary but I find them very useful for those crucial heroic charges which will keep your guys alive for quite a bit longer (perhaps even more so than an extra company). Thranduil is excellent for his points' worth although, as Danni says, he would be unthematic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:

No, you recommended more Wood Elf archers, I recommended Galadhrim ones. I know Wood Elves are better at shooting, but I'd much rather have the extra defence, which will make a bigger difference when they (inevitably) get into combat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
If you do get a Fortune I would get Galadrim Lonbows I think it is, which is very good for your archers or I'd get the calavry one where it doubles your move.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Eorltheyoung wrote:
If you do get a Fortune I would get Galadrim Lonbows I think it is, which is very good for your archers or I'd get the calavry one where it doubles your move.

The cavalry one doesn't double your move, it lets you move 14in, which is pretty pointless for Elves as their cavalry moves 12in already. Besides, both those Fortunes cost 50pts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
Oh sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
spuds4ever wrote:

No, you recommended more Wood Elf archers, I recommended Galadhrim ones. I know Wood Elves are better at shooting, but I'd much rather have the extra defence, which will make a bigger difference when they (inevitably) get into combat.

5+ isn't much of a difference to 4+ wounding and loads of your opponents will have Strength 4. On top of that, the wood elves get throwing weapons and enchanted cloaks minimising return-fire and giving them an edge before combat and they're still 5 points cheaper so I would go with the wood elves any day of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
spuds4ever wrote:

5+ isn't much of a difference to 4+ wounding and loads of your opponents will have Strength 4. On top of that, the wood elves get throwing weapons and enchanted cloaks minimising return-fire and giving them an edge before combat and they're still 5 points cheaper so I would go with the wood elves any day of the week.

I still stick with the Galadhrim. The look better anyways, with their huge longbows. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

George, George. How you are misguided.