All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: Re: Stat balancing / House rules
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Glabro wrote:
but would you say they are balanced with WoMT?

In a word, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I used to think they were better value, until I got a few games in. Now I think they are pretty much the same value, with the +1 str only slightly ahead. The last game I played (there is even a batrep on this forum) demonstrated this pretty well. Several of the Elven units were leaning heavily on their own courage values. If any had failed them, they would have been sitting ducks. It is pretty dificult to keep Epics where they need to be to boost units, and Epics have a habit of getting themselves dueled once the action starts in earnest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Excellent feedback. I'm developing a Ancients / Dark Ages skirmish (when you think about it War of the Ring is an excellent Skirmish ruleset even though it's touted as a mass battle game. I don't mean Skirmish in they sense moving individual soldiers, but skirmish in the more historical and tactical sense (free movement etc.), which War of the Ring does well as written unlike Warhammer Ancients ) adaptation of War of the Ring and want to get the balance just right. I'll consider
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not a bad idea Glabro. The big lacks with WOTR as a system for that genre are IMO 1. No evasion for bow Cav and 2. Morale/unit cohesion isn't quite right atm in terms of having Skirmishers do what they should do. I think that's a bit problematic in terms of getting it tow owrk for Ancients but not such an issue for a Dark Ages system.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good calls, Xelee. Light Cav could indeed evade, and why not foot skirmishers? Due to the very nature and scale of the game, skirmishers wouldn't be too different except for their lightness, training and doctrine.

I'm imagining "normal" foot units in this scale simply adopting a skirmish formation (something like this) http://www.roman-empire.net/army/skirmishing.html , and units not holding formation in a fight, ending up being a big brawl (ala what you see in Braveheart).

Do you happen to know the minimum unit size where close formations actually start being relevant? Is it in about century sized units?