All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:29 am

There are new models coming in Oct for MM, will one of them be the Stone giant?
yes, its long over due 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
no 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
There has to be, they are long over due 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Misty Mountains for starters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey!
I've been a SBG person for a long time, but now I've moved and can use the wonderful power of Ebay(before i lived in a place that had no GW, and had only a few friends that played LOTR, and I only started ebay recently), so I'm able to get lots of goblins cheaply

what I want to know what a 2000pt MM army generaly looks like, so I can buy (and painstakingly paint) my way up to it.

I know the basics of a MM army and I currently have:

about 112 goblins (4.5 packs)
2 captains
3 trolls
4 prowlers

and also a box of uruk scouts

I have been looking through posts, and i seems like i need WAY more goblins.
I'm going to be getting soon: durburz and more goblins

I want an army that has a good mix of goblins and wargs, spiders ect....
so i know that i need to get druzag, but im not sure how many wargs ect

so help of any kind would be nice
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In time you're going to want probably 1 or 2 more boxes of Goblins. :o But you shouldn't need to right away. Start with the ones you have, and the new Heroes you're going to get. And get a Drum if you can afford it! 8) Those Trolls can really help give you some supporting punch but be very careful about letting them loose on their own...they probably won't last long ( H2K models in WotR can go down in one turn pretty easy).

So that's a good start, but probably a bit weak.

To help your life out a bit with regard to the painting and toughening the force, you could always get a decent point-sink, such as a Dragon or Balrog. It would give you an attractive center to your force, help soak up some points so you don't go insane painting Goblins, and be a good addition for play purposes as well.

For Wargs, you can pick up two boxes of the plastics and have a decent force ( 6 Companies ) at a reasonable price. Use the Beastcaller if you want or just deploy them as normal.

For Spiders I have found that 2-Company Formations are pretty fragile but much more starts to get costly. So you're going to find these an expensive addition if you try to do it with official models and all at once. On the plus side, you can find plastic toy spiders of almost the same size at many toy shops (around here I just check in "buckets of bugs" that go for 0.25 each). Just base coat them and paint them up as you would anything else. They're often not very detailed and would absolutely NOT be allowed in an official game, but it would let you get them on the table cheap and you can start swapping the Companies out one at a time as you can afford the expensive GW blisters.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
To help your life out a bit with regard to the painting and toughening the force, you could always get a decent point-sink, such as a Dragon or Balrog. It would give you an attractive center to your force, help soak up some points so you don't go insane painting Goblins, and be a good addition for play purposes as well.

Thats what ive been thinking, i want to get stuff that takes up points, but not as long to paint (seems like getting a bunch of wargs would help alot as they look like they would be faster to paint as well)

oh, and after seeing the prices you can get on ebay (i just got 36 goblins, 2 captains, 4 armored archers and 4 prowlers for just $37 australian, retail price is about $140!!!), so money isnt really a problem, the problem is finding the stuff on ebay (plain goblins are common, drums are hard to come by)

thanks for that advice, but can you guys also help me make a list?

oh and what are H2K models??[/list]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sorry...thought you might already be familiar with the rules and some of the slang around here. H2K means "Hard To Kill" It's a type of model in War of the Ring that is treated special with regard to wounds. Each time it takes a wound (based on it's defense and resilience) you roll a d6 and check a table. If the result is 6 the model is dead and gone. If it's less than 6 then you apply the results which are usually "wound counters" that add +1 to future rolls. This is a bit simplified but you get the idea.

In practice most H2K models such as Trolls, Ents, etc. can survive one turn of combat against average opponents. If it's a stronger foe then that one turn may be their last. If they do survive they often have a couple Wound Counters on them so when they fight again if they take more wounds then the rolls on H2K table get a few +1s applied and will probably die on the second turn they fight. :roll: There are variations such as the Very Hard To Kill ( VH2K ) and Extremely Hard To Kill ( XH2K ) which give some staying power, sometimes several turns on average.

Having one Troll isn't much more than a distraction. 2-3 could actually help, but don't leave them on their own. I haven't played against Cave Trolls yet so I can't speak from experience there.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Misty Mountains for starters
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok
for your army it would be helpful to get some proper heroes
id say durburz and maybe druzhag the beastcaller but he would be incredibly hard to find on ebay as he is quite new
also the dragon would be a great idea, if you can find it get it.
in playing with cave trolls always remember to not get them shot up by archers.
thats all i can think of at the moment

Post subject: Re: Misty Mountains for starters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

dude this thread is old and dead, not to mention that i already have durburz, dragon, balrog, TONS of goblins.... so ya
when a thread get 3+ weeks old, ITS DEAD, that means that you dont post on them anymore