All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:26 am

Post subject: New to WoTR... seeking help
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all

Ive been on the site for a while now and ive been looking at other peoples army lists and its got me pretty excited about collecting LOTR mini's again and building up an army. I used to play SBG quite alot but became incensed by the ammount of new models coming out and the different rulebooks i needed for newer models. Along with a serious lack of finances to continue my collection, i gave it up. Since then i seperated from my girlfriend and lost my complete collection :(. About 1500 pts worth of Mordor with WK on fellbeast, 2 trolls and a catapult!

Anyway, onto pastures new and with a new format to the game (and i have to be honest, the way id prefer to play the game :D), i had the WoTR book bought for me. With this i checked out how the game is played and i generally love what theyve done with the game. Being a big fan of the Mordor army ive decided to go for them as my evil army, ive also decided to collect a good army and with this ive gone for a Gondor army.

One question i have to you guys is, whats the best points to play with ? I will only be playing on a rainy day and not neccessarily looking to get into huge battles. Atm i have capped it at 500.... is this good enough to work with or should i at least look to increase to 750pts ?

Im still learning the game a bit but i have a good idea which models i want to buy, and atm, i have a bit of spare cash to get the core troops for my selections, Which are as follows:

Army of the Morranon:

Leader:
Gothmog = 110 pts

Common Formations:

Morranon Orc Warband x3 companies (Banner bearer, shields) = 100 pts
Mordor Orc Warband x3 companies (banner, captain, drummer & shields) = 160 pts
Mordor Orc Archers x2 companies = 30 pts
Warg Rider Warband x3 companies (captain & banner) = 95 pts Total = 495

Gothmog will be housed within the Morranon Orc WB

Army of Morthond:

Leader:
Faramir = 90 pts

Common Formations:

Minas Tirith Warriors x4 companies (banner) = 135 pts
Minas Tirith Knights x3 companies = 75 pts

Legendary Formation:
Blackroot Vale Archers x3 companies = 155 pts Total = 455 pts

Faramir will be housed with the Warriors of MT

Im a little stuck and im not sure if im on the right path.... Would really appreciate your feedback :)
 Post subject: Re: New to WoTR... seeking help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wrafeybaby wrote:
One question i have to you guys is, whats the best points to play with ? I will only be playing on a rainy day and not neccessarily looking to get into huge battles. Atm i have capped it at 500.... is this good enough to work with or should i at least look to increase to 750pts ?

1000pts is best in my opinion. It's the standard army size, and it allows you to include different types of Heroes and Formations, which makes your games more interesting.

Post subject: Re: New to WoTR... seeking help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok cool, well i will take this onboard ofcourse, as i dont want too large a collection. But for now, im sticking to 500 pts for each Army list... to start off as a core force, to learn the rules fully and get into the swing of things :)

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully i will have some pics soon too :)