All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:25 am

Post subject: Galadhrim vs Gondor/Rohan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi :)
I've a game organized with my friend this weekend for a 500pts SBG. we're going to be using LOME rules and scenarios. He's going to be fielding either Rohan or Gondor. If it's Gondor it's prob going to be Boromir of the white tower, Fountain guard, warriors w/spear and some rangers. If it's Rohan i'm not sure but there will be a lot of horses. I'm wondering does anyone have any advice on what army list from lothlorien would work best against these? I have Haldir, Galadriel, all of the Fellowship, Gandalf the White, and A lot of Galadhrim. I also have some Galadhrim knights. My friend is also a really tactical player, but he's never fielded Rohan before.

Post subject: Re: Galadhrim vs Gondor/Rohan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think you can't go wrong with a shield wall, max bows, and giving all your bows spears as well. His bows will be S2, so D5 is helpful. Your bows won't be as useful against Gondor, but if he takes Boromir CotWT in a 500 point game your numbers will be pretty close, so any damage you do at range will hurt him more. Your bows will be more useful against Rohan, if he takes lots of horses it might be a short game. If he takes lots of Rohan warriors you'll need to make the most of your shooting so he doesn't swarm you. Once the lines meet you'll appreciate how the bows+spears can hold the line. A few pikes in the back can't hurt either. A few glaives to round things out and help your hero kill a pesky enemy are handy.

If you have wood elves they're a bit cheaper, especially for spear and bow support. A ratio might be:

12 Galadhrim w/ shield + spear
9 WE w/bow + spear
5 WE w/elf blade + throwing dagger
3 pikes

Not sure about the Knights, they are very expensive, but if you don't know what scenarios you'll be facing you might want a couple in case you have to race to hold something.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

taking galadrial as your leader would help alot, nulifies boromir and stops all the rohan throwing weapons and all bows.... and thats just the basics.
with her you dont need D5 as much so you can use the point to get more guys. and since your gonna have a big wall, just about everything should fit in BL range

my 2cents for today
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@whafrog: thanks for that. I don't have any wood elves though just Galadhrim. And in the new Galadhrim rules are you allowed have a bow and a spear? I just thought it was one or the other.

@shadowswarm: I've never really used Galadriel before so could you tell me how she would nullifie boromir and stop all ranged attacks? I'm guessing you mean something like transfix for boromir, but what about the bows and throwing weapons?

Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ah, I didn't notice that, you're right, Galadhrim can only have one or the other :( I usually use wood elves

Galadriel has Blinding Light, which means shooting only hits on a 6. I don't recall what else she has. The only problem I'd see with Galadriel in a 500 point game where you don't know who your enemy will be and you don't know what the scenario is: she's expensive, and for max benefit you have to cluster your forces around her. For some scenarios that's what you want, but for others it's a huge problem. I'd prefer a more well-rounded generic force at that point level.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well shes only 125pts, which is a really good deal for someone with 6will, 1 free a turn, BL, immobilize and compel. then there is the 3 might and fate (rerolls on the fate). BL is a 12" radius so you can fit alot under there, besides, your just have a wall.... so its not like you forces are going to be spread out.
Ive seen some pretty impressive stuff from her, if i was in your position i would take her, but thats my playstyle.

heck, you should be able to take her and 40ish galadrim, so i wouldnt worry about her price
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

She is 130 points :P And blinding light only has a range of 6" Much players make this mistake but the effect of rolling a 6 with shooting is only within 6" If you don't believe read the rule :P

And for the army I would use as hero's: Galdriel fighting version and a galadhrim captain with bow. I prefer the fighting version if you play against rohan or gondor cause if he uses boromir you have 2 hero with together the same cost as boromir and with the same fight. She also has blinding light against rohan and she is is also very good at killing captain hero's ( gamling,hama,theoden,eowyn,erkenbrand) all hero's with a captain like profile and perfect to be killed by galadriel :)

No opinions on the troops that is just a matter of personal experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

unfortunately I don't have Fighty Galadriels profile.... :( and I'm not buying a whole book just for one profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well if your talking about the profile for the galadriel in the Fall of the Necromancer book..

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... ofiles.pdf

games workshop supplies pdf versions of the profiles and special rules from each sourcebook.. this link is for the profiles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cool thanks 8) but what's the war aspect rule? or where can I find it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

right here

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... Id=5700005

scroll down and look for Fall of the Necromancer special rules summary, your should find it in there :)

i found this quite handy as i also dont like spending money for a book i will only need for a couple profiles ! You can also find all the profiles from all the other sourcebooks too, as you can see once you go to the link..