All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:23 pm

Post subject: newbie nazgul shopping
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looking at the Betrayer for my Serpent Horde army...but for the 120 points, I could get two Budget Nazguls with a fate point each... Is the special poison rule and full power really worth it?

Post subject: Re: newbie nazgul shopping
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Betrayer is the worst named Nazgul, and I think everyone will agree with me on that. I'd take another one of the named Nazgul, or perhaps even the Witchking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

His poison special gives Haradrim archers a reroll on 1 & 2 failed to wound rolls... I have no experience with the reality of that, if it helps much. And his own reroll on all failed 'to wound' seems deadly... I will keep looking. Any other opinions? Favorites and why? The Witchking is appealing---with Morgel Blade...? Any links where comparasions are discussed? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you do decide to get budget wraiths, give them might. You can never have too much might.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks. As I read more, I am leaning toward 2 budget nazguls over one supercharged. The Undying looked impressive: 20 Will that can be used for Fate...whoa---but aren't they hard enough to kill anyway? Help me here...is this like paying extra for Defense 10 when you are nearly invincible at D9 anyway? And if I am leaning toward a Help My Army to Win vs Single SuperHero strategy... then the Dark Marshal as banner is good, and the Shadow Lord's version of blinding light maybe better. Any wisdom from experience would be appreciated. And the location/link to Dwimmerlaik SBG profile? thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As I know there is no named nazgûls in SBG so it wil be hard to find SBG stats of named nazgûls. The only named nazgûl in SBG (as I know) is the wich-king.
Hoped that helped:)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@balrog, all the ringwriaths exist in SBG too.

To be honest Khamul is great on a horse, good hero killer and has the chance to get some will back. the Shadow lord could be great for a serpent horde army as he will protect some of those low defense buggers from arrow fire and is better at casting than Khamul. Dark Marshall is fine, banner is good, but you already have lots of spear i assume so you dont really need him that much I would go with the other 2 over him. Undying sounds cool but I have never used him, having that many fate points available is always nice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

K. I do not collect on Mordor (this is my 2nd year I am in this hobby), and I have readed in the SBG rulebok and there it stod wich-king and ringwraith, soo... I belived there were no named nazgûls in SBG.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All the named nazguls have profiles in sbg. They are in the mordor sourcebook and 2 white dwarfs.

And for choosing nazguls the named ones are much better. The strongest ringwraith is the shadowlord and is much better then 2 budget wraiths

I think much people will agree with this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hero of gondor wrote:
All the named nazguls have profiles in sbg. They are in the mordor sourcebook and 2 white dwarfs.

And for choosing nazguls the named ones are much better. The strongest ringwraith is the shadowlord and is much better then 2 budget wraiths

That is debatable. The shadowlord I think is a bit nooby as he promotes a "rock-paper-scissors" style of play as Whafrog said a while ago and dosen't make the game very strategic. I think the undying is very good as he is the most endurable and has as much will as the witchking AND is a good spell-caster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

spuds4ever wrote:
hero of gondor wrote:

That is debatable. The shadowlord I think is a bit nooby as he promotes a "rock-paper-scissors" style of play as Whafrog said a while ago and dosen't make the game very strategic. I think the undying is very good as he is the most endurable and has as much will as the witchking AND is a good spell-caster.

Yes, I agree that the Undying is a good choice if you just want a great spellcaster. In SBG he has no fancy combat special rules, he just basically takes the Nazgul's skill with Magic and makes it a whole lot better, having the joint 2nd highest number of Will points in the game (tying with the Witch-King). Also, his Fate special rule is quite handy in scenarios like To Kill a King, as having potentially 20 Fate points makes him pretty hard to kill.

But in the end it all depends on what you want your Ringwraith to do. If you want a good spellcaster, then the Undying or the Witch-King are a good choice. But if you want a different ability (such as the Shadow Lord's Pall of Darkness or the Betrayer's Master of Poisons) or a good combater (like the Knight of Umbar or Khamul the Easterling) then maybe they are better choices.