Post subject: Re: War Dogs and Bears
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

l
Quote:
ike the burning pigs,
also do the dogs count as infantry or cavalry

I would say Infantry because they don't knock people down as part of the attack.

Quote:
this might be a stupid question but oh well

I do not think it is a stupid question. The dogs move twice as fast as a hobbit but don't have a rider.You could use them like a cavalry screen. Do riderless Wargs get the knock down special attack? I don't know. I have never used them in a game.I am going to look it up as soon as I finish this post.
Remember pony's have a rider but don't count as cavalry. You could argue that a war dog might be like a war horse but a normal dog would be like a pony. So it seems like a good question to me.
If you suggest that if a team of war dogs and the handler win the combat, the combat should be resolved as if the victim was pulled to the ground.That sounds like used like a Calvary attack to me. See, a much better question than you thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No wargs don´t get the charge bonus even though it´s damn stupid :-X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok thanks oldman willow, i hope to play a few games with dogs bears and burning pigs, this sounds so cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

pigs where used in ancient combat (if youve got rome total war youll see how crazy pigs are cause u can use them!!!!). also i dont really think in lotr anywhere but the shire and gondor have dogs in? i think a falcon would be cool. you could have a bird handler and a falcon (bit like radagasts bird).
10 point upgrade on any scout, hobbit or men of the north but each model may only have 1.
falcon f s d a w c
2 2 4 1 1 3 (could be a dunlending crow for evil) move 8"
special rules:
swoop: the falcon must start move fase in base contact with its handler it may call a swoop atack. this means it counts as a thrown weapen inflicting d3 hits on the enemy with a strength of 3 and range of 15". after attack it may then move back to its master but cant move that phase.
takes the hit: they may take a hit for their master from a bow or ballista. this means that if the bird is within 15" of its master it atomatically replaces the model and its trainer is placed d6" away from it.
tip bits: at the beggining of the turn role d6. on a 1 the bird is full and skips the go and glides half its move phase in a random direction.
i think 10 points is worth it and they shud be fun to use. a row of 4 or so in a 500+pt game would be worth it for swoop.

when the beornings come out maybe they can be like bear masters? so whole board control instead of 8" control maybe. :pippin:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sounds good 2 me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSeEuu6pW4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

k revised falcon stats(worked on it with friend

falcon/owl 5pt upgrade on either dwarf ranger,any man of the north (arnor etc)and hobit militia.(no hero)
f s d a w c
1 2 3 1 1 3 moves 6"
takes the hit: if the model is within 6" of its handler it may replace it and all shots aimed at the handler hits the bird
courageous intervention: the bird dives infront of its master in combat confusing the enemy.when the handler is in a combat and the bird is not but within 10" the bird may call a courageous intervention. any wounds that hit must be re rolled only used once each combat.
far in the sky: it has an elven cloak but hs a range of 12" instead of 6".
the bird gets a -1 to its courage if handler is dead

black crow of dunland 8pt upgrade for saruman, dunlending warrior and orc warrior
f s d a w c
1/4 2 3 1 1 2 moves 8"
swoop:the bird may act as a bow with strength 3 and 18" range and one hit.
tip bits: the bird must role a d6 to see if it stays intrested in the food its keeper is giving or in chasing a squirrel.if it gets a 1 it fails. this happens after priority. if it fails it does nothing but can retry next round
scavenger: when a keeper kills an enemy it will give the bird meat. the birds efforts are redoubled and gets strength three in the next turn (swoop is then strength 4)
hungry friends?: if a battle contains either an uruk hai or orc (thats not the keeper) and they win the orcs may deside to get some more meat. role a d6. on a 1 the orcs turn on the bird and fight 1 round of combat.
far in the sky
the bird carries on as normal except its increased to 4+ to stay in the battle.

they should be intresting because whilst the crow is based on attack it has many draw backs( like the fact it may not take part that round or even be killed by its friends) whilst the good bird has a better relasionship with its handler and is more defencive.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Those rules look pretty cool, but for a 5 point upgrade (falcon) I would have them playing a much more minor role, maybe just increasing LoS for the unit with the bird and all units in a 3"/6" radius. Five points for something which can have such a dramatic effect in combat is very low and I would say it should be closer to 10 points with those rules. Otherwise quite good, the rules for the black crows seem alright. :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i was thinking higher but if you think about it, its an upgrade for weak armoured people, this is there shield (its not exactly great in combat :-D )
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like the idea of birds. You might want to take a few things into consideration. During the War Between the United States and the Confederate States of America an Ohio unit had a eagle for a mascot. It was famous at the time and was more like a Standard. In the move. The Warlord Chrisadom's hawks were on his Dwarfs Standard. In the Movie The Vikings,One Eye Enor lost his eye to a hawk. This caused him to be :-X :shock: forever.
I think Birds would add a lot to the games and would be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really interesting idea! I love the whole slaver thing. I think this could be expanded into things like rebbelious goblins, who don't want to fight for either good or evil or even cave trolls?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thx 4 posotive comments on birds :-D . workin on stikys idea, mceneries that can be on either side would be a good idea, maybe not gobbos, cus they hate dwarf ,elves and just about anythings guts but thats the buety of animals, u get evil and good. treebeard in the books mesions some tree or ents going rotten and starting to side with evil but thers no people that would be hired, ther both on strict sides!!!