All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:20 am

Post subject: How to kill GIMLI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hey guys I have an army made of:
20 fighting uruk hais (10 with pike - one of them was converted to a banner bearer. + 10 with sword and shield) and a mounted ringwraith.
I`m having troubles killing my opponent`s gimli, he has 8 defense and 2 wounds and 2 fate points..
WHICH IS THE BEST HERO FOR ME (TO PURCHASE) SO I CAN KILL GIMLI?

or which strategy should I use?

thanks a lot!!

I WILL ALSO ACEPT ANY TIPS ON KILLING GIMLI
 Post subject: Re: How to kill GIMLI
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Looks like you have everything you need: surround with uruk-hai, transfix, and set blender to "frappé". Assume you need 4 wounds to kill (unsuccessful fate rolls can be saved with Might), and even uruks need a 6 to wound, so on average you need to transfix him 4 times with 6 uruks, or 2 times with 12. Adding a hero with Might to the mix can help, as far as killing Gimli the named heroes are pretty much the same in that department. A normal captain only has 2 might, but he can get D7, which might hold out a little longer against Gimli. A troll can do the job quicker, and if you use bats you might not need the wraith.

But that's just the mechanics, it's pointless without the tactics. You need to isolate Gimli in some way: lure him in and sacrifice an uruk or two to prevent his friends from helping, divide his forces and use the terrain to create bottlenecks that can be held by a couple warriors backed up by pikes.

Just be careful you don't focus too much on Gimli, you might find you've "won the battle but lost the war". Playing scenarios other than to-the-death can help as well.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gimli will never be easy to kill if he's sitting among his soldiers. If you can separate him from the group (compel may be useful for this), great, otherwise, you may need to consider the rest of his army first. You can just send an uruk with a shield at him each turn to keep him busy, shielding to improve his chances of survival (don't bother supporting this uruk with pikes at this stage, they are better used to support your other soldiers). Once his army has been thinned out a bit, surround and destroy him.

If Gimli is the best hero your enemy ever uses, you may not need the ringwraith at all. No hero can defeat their points in warriors alone. You may find a larger army with some Uruk captains for firepower will be more effective than a ringwraith whose only real use is to negate Gimli for a few turns. If you do choose other heroes though, use them to kill warriors. Gimli can kill a standard captain fairly easily, so unless you can tip the fight in your favour by throwing extra troops in on your side to help out, the captain is better used elsewhere. Gimli may use heroic actions to kill your captains, so don't let them get separated from the rest of your army.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I once killed Dain without fighting him and he's even harder than Gimili. Kill 50% of his models, Drain Courage a few times and watch him run away.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

my afvice would be to get some crossbows
i am assuming that being gimli he is probably leading dwarves
dwarf bows have less range so you should be able to sit back and defend for a while
thin the dwarves out and then try to shoot models near gimli so he is alone, then swarm him.

also if you like overkill, grab an isenguard troll or two (or more if you have a huge amount of cash) :-D , use the ringwraith to transfix gimli and go in for a massacre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

thanks guys and.. which should i buy...
1. balrog
2. troll chieftain
3. goblin captain?

against gimli
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hmm, you might be missing the point. The solution isn't bigger/stronger/tougher, and your goal doesn't have to be "Kill Gimli"...unless that's the name of the scenario :)
A Balrog will definitely kill Gimli, but then your opponent gets another 300+ points to bring to the table, so the Balrog might not even get close to him. You don't want lesser heroes to have to fight him directly, unless he's transfixed or engaged with a bat swarm, and you don't want to do *that* unless you have the initiative, massive numbers, and have him isolated. Otherwise you need to find other ways to beat his army.

Though maybe I should have asked: why do you need to kill Gimli so badly?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hithero wrote:
I once killed Dain without fighting him and he's even harder than Gimili. Kill 50% of his models, Drain Courage a few times and watch him run away.

I like this tactic. A lot. It's really sneaky but also quite simple. Anyone who was on the recieving end would be really fustrated... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I need to kill gimli because I dont have long ranged heroes and when it comes to 1v1, gimli beats my a$$ up. he plays with elves and more so its kinda hard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

whafrog wrote:
Though maybe I should have asked: why do you need to kill Gimli so badly?

Maybe the smug little beardy just deserves it??

I never trusted him after he fell in love with that Elf. No, not that one, the one with the long blonde hair and the 'mirror' full of water. I mean, honestly, that was never going to work out, was it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree the best tactic is to lure him in with some men, which means sacrificing a few I'm afraid. Then you can pick him off. i've played against him before, and when he has dwarfs backing him up he pretty much eats your guys.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

or you could use a siege weapon

this will negate his high defence (because of the siege weapon's strength )
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thats going tooooo far, it would cost so many points just to kill one guy....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

some would cost less then gimli ( like the siege bow ) than it can be used for other things once you kill gimli :twisted: